Info on bonnet flanges needed - XKE S3

Dear all,

I am in the process of doing major works on the bonnet and came across two doubts:

1 - On the first photo attached, the front underpan had previous butcher work done and the flange is folded. On the mudguard however the flange protrudes (as in the back mudguards) . What was the original configuration?

The second photo shows work underway and I need now to decide what to do with the flanges

1. I understand that on Series 3 you can’t see the panel joint under the headlamps, contrary to what the picture shows. The joint could be seen in Series 1 but this changed sometime in Series 2. Correct ?

Many thanks

Rui

Hi Rui,

in the attached picture you can see that the underpan flange is folded towards the front.

• Manfred

Many thanks Manfred, as I thought . The metal worker thought that this is a bit inconsistent :slight_smile:

Hi Rui,

the picture below is from my bonnet during disassembly. You can see that the joint between the two panels is fixed with bolts from the back (not visible), tack welded and then filled with lead.

• Manfred

I wonder when they moved from the visible joint in the Series 1, perhaps sometime in the mid 60’s. Many thanks again Manfred for the quick reply , very helpful.
Best regards

Rui