Informal XJ-S Ownership Survey

I thought it might be fun to find out what year and body style current Jag-Lovers XJ-S listers have, how long they have owned their car, and how many miles they have put on it during ownership. A picture would also be nice.

I bought my wife a 1990 Signal Red Classic Collection XJ-S convertible in January 2005 and in the 13 1/2 years we have owned it members of our family have put over 65,000 miles on it. See the attached picture of how it looks after a repaint and the new convertible that a friend and I installed.

Who is next?

Paul

1 Like

I have had several over the years, they have all been 88,89,&90. My 88 is presently on eBay at no reserve and my 90 convertible sold to Spain last year.

1990 Signal Red over black, purchased 5 years ago with 29,000 miles on the odometer; now has 60,000 miles.

My 85 XJS HE V12 Coupe with sunroof. I’ve owned it for about 10 years with just over 70,000 miles on the clock. While I like the Skytop sunroof…it seriously affects headroom and rear window visibility.

From top to bottom in the photo.

1987 Hess & Eisenhardt Convertible
Acquired July 2002

52K-49K=3K Miles Driven

1989 V-12 Coupe

Acquired Feb 1992

97K-39K=58K Miles Driven

1995 V-12 Convertible

Acquired Mar 2004

83K-75K=8K Miles Driven

Only the 1989 was a daily driver. This photo was taken a year ago after bringing them all out for a bath.

Bob

Yucca Valley, CA

OK Here is my 1988…44,000 miles…! has leaper on hood with no modification to hood holes…pretty much original… had for 10 years…usual maintenance…headliner is pinned up…rest is ok…usual smells drips etc.

This is Miss Daisy- topless Thirty one years old .Found her in 2014 with 68K miles.Now 70K.It has taken all of four years to gradually fix every little thing that wasn’t quite right! Now she purrs!

I live in southern Maryland about an hour south of D.C. Car is a 94 4.0. I’m the third owner and received about 6 inches of all maintenance since new performed by the dealer using no aftermarket parts. 1 receipt shows $4800 in rebuilding the complete Delanair system. Last guy liked his A/C!

Car had 79k when purchased about 2 years ago and now has 85k. Everything works except the darned 6 CD player.

By the way, I am describing the XJS!

Gordon

I’ve got one of each prior to the facelift.
1 '87 XJ-SC Black, which is currently in storage I picked up for parts as a insurance write off, the PO started taking it part, and I was looking at the wonderful condition it is in so I’m not going to use it for parts, but I’m going to straighten it and either put it back to OE :thinking: or a track day car.
1 '88 XJ-S Coupe, Blue. this was my very first Jaguar. I purchased it in 2000.
1 '89 XJ-S Convertible, white blue top. it’s in storage.

Re: the 6 CD changer Look into Willman’s Electronics. He has repaired three of my CD changers. Your problem is most likely the laser. He replaces the entire mechanicals. Cost in 2012 was $ 270.00 US he is online , his phone number is 972-414-8016. I’ve had no issues since his work was done.

FYI: no affiliation.

Stephen

Img_0399Img_0401

1995 V12 Coupe purchased in 2002 at 59,600 miles. Now at about 94,000.
• ’95 XJS 6.0 COUPE

• PAINT CODE: PDT

• TRIM CODE: NDR

• VIN# SAJNX 5344 SC 1998xx

• ECU 36CU, DAC 11519

My Jaguar is a 1976 XJ-S (12/75 date on the door post). When I bought it in December 1980 It had about 46k on the clock. Now it’s about 154,000, so I’ve driven it about 110,000 miles. I have to say about since the odometer stopped working and I drove it about 3500 miles before fixing it.

The car was originally driven by Henry Segerstrom. The Segerstroms were a prominent Orange County, California farming family but in current times they are mostly known as the developers of the preeminent South Coast Plaza shopping center in Costa Mesa. Among the records provided at the time of purchase was the original window sticker.

As our “2nd car,” I drive it about 1500-2000 miles a year.I keep on top of maintenance so we can take it on longer jaunts with the Jaguar Owners Club of Los Angeles occasionally. Practical all the mechanicals have been rebuilt, including the front and rear suspension, brakes, transmission, and heads. It was sanded down to metal and completely repainted Medium Canyon Red in1988. The upholstery has also been redone using the interior of a 1983. Still looks good “from 20 feet away” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

1st Registered 1/8/93 6.0ltr 2+2 convertible. Purchased by me in July 2005.

One of the previous owners of this car owned a group of hotels - the one pictured above ‘fell into the sea’ after a landslip at Scarborough on England’s East coast.

My very first Jag is my Blue an XJ-S Coupe

. It’s been out of commission for a couple of years now. It has 96,000 miles on the clock. I’ve put 45,000 miles in the last 20 years I’ve owned it. My poor baby has been preempted by "quick fixes to the XJ Saloon which turned out to be not so quick. It’s layers of an onion I tell you. peal off one layer of fixes to discover another layer.

This XJ saloon is a real time sucker. I bought it originally to trade for a Series I (this pink one)

The PO of the Series I didn’t want it, so it’s either for my daughters’ first car or it’s going up for sale. If she doesn’t want it then I have to finish all of the items in succession rather than over time, Like I planned. Which means a longer wait for the XJ-S Coupe.

Back to the '88 XJ-S
The XJ-S ended up there because of a fuel leak,
then a radiator leak,
Then the bonnet cable snapped, while closing it
Then I over charged the battery and cooked something - so no Injector noise upon turning it over.
It’s sad to think about. So there it sits.

My next XJ is a '89 XJ-S Convertible.

Lovely car, This is right after I saved it from the crusher, 46,000 miles. It had been sitting in a field in British Columbia. The owner died; and the estate was about to send it off to the crusher. It was full of water so there’s a bit of clean up. Rust in the usual places - boot lid leading edge and door skins. It’s in storage right now. safe and dry.

My final XJ-S is a '87 XJ-SC that I also saved from the crusher. It was rear ended, and I purchased it for parts. As I was disassembling it, I was noticing how well maintained the car is. Not a speck of rust ANYWHERE! Though it’s an insurance total and is missing the roof bits (the PO sold Bung-Hole!). I’m thinking about putting it back together and use it as a track day car. Mind you it is an insurance total so it will never be worth it’s true value. I don’t have a picture of it handy. It too is in storage.

So there you have it, Just a few of my Lovely Jaguars.

Cheers!
Mark

1 Like

My 1990 purchased 3 years ago. Blew a head gasket last summer. Bought a long block 50k on it and had a local shop do the install. So it wasn’t meant to be an investment! It’s been a costly toy but so is my wife! Haha. My son has his eye on this one. “Over my dead body” but he can wait.

1 Like

Ice Blue 95 4.0 just bought last month. Has 198k on the clock. It needs a lot of TLC and its gonna get it. Prior was about 15 years ago I had a 78. Whole different animal!

Bought my red 92 v12 in 2014. It had 40k on it. Sat in a garage and dried out all sorts of stuff. In Colorado the premier Jag mechanics are at Concours Cars in Old Colorado City, Colorado Springs. They lovingly restored all (over a bit of time, and in the off season). Even where I live, at 8000+ feet, 1st gear to a manually shifted 2nd, can take you off the road!
Love it!!

33EC318B-|320x240

Alan, how do I post my car to this page?

Thank you.

Stephen

Stephen,
Go to the Jag-Lovers home page, scroll down to the “User Guides and How-Tos” section and follow the instructions under "How to post pictures. Once you do it a few times it is pretty easy.

Paul

Our beautiful 92 XJS V12 which I bought about 4 years ago with 48k miles. Now has 56k and I loved every minute. This is our second 92 XJS. We had a coupe for 13 years which my wife still misses. She prefers the lines of the coupe.

Currently in the shop having front end bushings, shocks, belts, one wheel fixed and new tires fitted. With luck, I’ll pick her up tomorrow.

PS. Thank you Paul Novak for the advise on how to post a picture.
PPS. I fixed the antenna since this photo.