Inherited Daimler XJ40

Hi all, I’ve recently been passed down an xj40 that my dad was restoring. It has been left neglected in a barn for a couple of years. I haven’t the technical know how to restore it as he intended. The body work needs attention, as does the chassis, the engine is in good nic however.

What would your advice as owners be?

Not sure if you’re wanting permission to sell it or not. Even if you don’t have the expertise to restore it, most repairs are fairly simple. You could probably get it running again and possibly even driving without too much effort. I’d suggest getting it to that point before deciding if you want to send it off to finish the restoration.

The first question I would ask is how much rust is there ?

The second would be what condition is the body in ?

If you’ve checked you know that these cars (although beloved by many of us) are worth very little on the market. Sadly, despite being a Jaguar, they just aren’t viewed as collectable. If you have to spend more than $1000 to get EVERYTHING done it’s not worth it. And since you say you don’t have the know how, that amount will get you about two days work at a reputable shop…not including parts !

How about a picture ! Easy to do, just drag into your post.

1 Like