Injectors Not Firing, 1990 XJ-S convertible, 5.3L V12 w Marelli ignition

The fuel injectors in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible (5.3L V12 w/ Marelli ignition) are not firing and the car will not start. I searched the archives and came up with a great write-up from Trevor Beckwith (some of it is copied below) that covered much of what I needed to know, however it was for an earlier car with the Lucas ignition and not the Marelli ignition. I am trying to fix this injector no fire problem in a car with a digital ignition, a crankshaft position sensor, a flywheel position sensor and two power modules (and no amplifier) and not the configuration of car he was working on. I hope someone with knowledge of the Marelli equipped V12 XJ-S can provide me with some feedback so that I can fix this. I have some idea of what the problem is (failed coax wire) but I want to be sure about this before I tear into the engine bay wiring harnesses. I have the benefit of the S57 Electrical Guide for the 90MY and the XJ-S Repair Operations Manual, but there are some things that I need help to understand about the wiring in the engine bay for the speed sensor and how that signal gets to the EFI ECU to get the fuel injectors to fire.

First the good news. When I turn on the ignition switch the fuel pump runs for a few seconds and I get a good 39 PSI on the fuel pressure gauge that I have located on the return line on the left side of the fuel rail in the engine bay. Fuel pressure holds pretty steady with power off for an hour or two then starts to drop slowly. The fuel filter is new and the 91 Octane fuel is fresh. The starter cranks the engine and fuel pressure is renewed each time the starter is cranked. The Inertial Switch is verified in the down (closed) position. I have 12VDC to the fuel injectors with the ignition switch on. When I have an assistant crank the engine when I have my inductive timing light on the spark plug or distributor to coil wires I see the timing light flashing while the engine cranks so I am pretty sure that the Crankshaft Position Sensor is working properly as well as the wires from the distributor to the upper and lower coils and all of the spark plug wires that I have tested (6 or 8 of them). I have a spare crankshaft position sensor that I have moved from the crankshaft position to the flywheel position sensor location (they are the same part number) and so I believe they are both working properly because I always get the timing light flashes when the engine is cranked with the key in the ignition. I don’t have access to an oscilloscope so I have not verified the Crankshaft Position Sensor waveforms but it appears that both the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Flywheel Sensor are both working properly from the timing light flashes.

Now the bad news. When an assistant cranks the engine I do not hear any clicking at the fuel injectors with my mechanics stethoscope like I do when my assistant cranks the engine on my 1990 V12 VdP (5.3L V12 w/ Lucas ignition) with the fuel pump disabled. However, with the ignition switch ON I have 12VDC to the injectors. So the signal to ground the injectors appears to be missing. I traced the wires one by one from the Marelli ECU (DAC5871) connector pins to the engine bay sensors and also from the Lucas 16 CU Control Unit (DAC6337) and came up with a two surprises. First I must mention that there is a large black plastic connector in the engine bay (see attached picture with connector circled in read) that I believe carries both the White Speed Signal wire in addition to the White Slate wire for the Tachometer. This black plastic connector isn’t mentioned in the write-ups for injectors not firing in Lucas ignition equipped cars, so it may be unique to the Marelli cars (as are the Crankshaft Position Sensor, Flywheel Position Sensor and 2 Power Modules). While testing the female pins on this black plastic connector I found that there was no continuity between the white wire and pin 24 of the Marelli ECU when I thought there should have been. However I got continuity between that White female pin and Marelli ECU pins 4 (Ground Black), 10 (Power Module B Green Pink), 12 (Ground Black), and 15 (Power Module A Slate Purple). That was when I had an “Ahaaaaaaaaaaa” moment. Why would there be continuity between White Speed Signal wire and any of the Ground wires?

I would like some feedback that these readings likely show that I have a broken White Speed Signal wire and a short between the Speed Signal wire and the coax shield that is resulting in the loss of Speed Signal and a short of that signal to Ground. Because of the lack of continuity between the white wire in that connector and the Marelli ECU I am a little confused over the purpose of that large black plastic connector which carries the tachometer signal from the coil to the tachometer, but I would like to know for certain that it is supposed to carry the Speed Signal to the EFI ECU. I checked the other wire on that connector and it goes to the tachometer. Still, it seems like the White Speed Signal wire should not have continuity to Ground. I hope that I am on the right track and that someone will give me feedback that it is time to open up that wiring harness (it’s at the firewall and will likely be a challenge to find what I believe is a damaged wire).

I plan to get some coax wire to attempt to locate and repair/replace the suspected broken coax wire, but it would be good to know if my approach is on the right track before I do that or if I missed anything

I would also appreciate any suggestions for additional tests that I should try to sort this problem out and get this car back on the road.

This is my first attempt at a serious digital ignition/EFI problem and I hope I am on the right track. Your comments and suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas
1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible
1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-xj-s@jag-lovers.org [mailto:owner-xj-s@jag-lovers.org] On Behalf Of Trevor Beckwith
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2016 2:09 AM
To: xj-s@jag-lovers.org
Subject: RE: [xj-s] Not Firing

You turn the key and the fuel pump engages (should be able to hear it) to pressure the fuel rail but it can only happen if the cut out inertia switch (Right hand pillar on LHD and RHD) is closed.
Then the motor cranks and the pick-up coil in the bottom of the dizzy turns and sends a pulse signal to the amplifier (black box on the left intake manifold) via two shielded wires on my 82. The amplifier then sends this pulse to two places…
a). the coil which then sends it to the dizzy and from there to the spark plugs.
b). it also sends this same pulse via the legendary coaxial cable to the ECU in the boot to tell it to pulse the injectors.

If you have spark but no fuel then the amplifier is getting the signal so the wires from the dizzy and the pick-up coil are good.
If the fuel rail is getting adequate fuel at an adequate pressure then the problem will lie between the amplifier and the ECU or the ECU and the injectors.

My check list would be.

1. Fuel filter, has it been replaced in recent times.
  2. Fuel sump filter, needs to be cleaned every couple of years.
  3. Fuel pump, could be that it’s not producing enough pressure. Also check fuel pump relay in boot.
  4. Injectors firing (you will need a noid light to test). Not expensive and if you are working on fuel injected cars it pays to have a set. You can hear the injectors fire but this does not check the four banks of injectors.
  5. Coaxial cable. They are frail and brittle and the sheath (due to heat) is often is found to be shorted with the main cable following work under the bonnet. Replace the section under the bonnet (up to the main loom) as a matter of course for it will break before long any way.
    Don’t get drawn into paying the big bucks for the cable. I used a data coax (not a big fat TV coax) that contained two sheathed cables and costs peanuts. If you need more details let me know.
  6. Power resistor to the injectors. On the inside of the right front fender to the front. Oil and gunk gets into the connector. Worth a clean anyway.
  7. Fuel regulator. Only the outgoing one is essential for fuel rail pressure. (the incoming one is really only a check valve)
  8. ECU. You want to exclude all else before going for this one as they are pretty expensive. Some wreckers will lend you one to test (here down under) if they have one.

The list can go on but those are the main culprits.

To save yourself time jump right to # 5. The coaxial cable to begin with. Unplug the cable from the amplifier and do a continuity test across the sheath and the central cable. This will show you if they are shorted. If so replace the cable. If not then place a jumper wire between the two then go to the boot, unplug the ECU and test for continuity between Pin #18 (for ECUs 6CU and 16CU) on the connector on the cable and earth. If you get continuity then the cables are ok but if not, one or both are broken. Replace the coax under the bonnet.

Cheers Trev

1 Like

Edit. (Had some incorrect info here)
The feed between marelli and the efi (from pin 24 marelli to pin 18 efi) is a smaller male and female spade connector most likely tied to your fuel rail to the LH side of the throttle capstan just forward of the plug you show.
I think your plug may be CF6 and is Tacho and ignition feed to the modules and coils etc. and the many interconnections are causing the continuity readings at the ECU pins.

Paul:
On the Marelli ignition, everything is x2. Very unlikely that two coils or two ignition amps will fail at the very same time. One can bite the dust, the other will be OK and the engine will start on 1 bank

From 6+ years experience with my own 6.0L V12 with Marelli and from reading many posts here, the only problem that prevents a Marelli car from starting completely is the CPS. The coax wire from the ignition amp is the most common problem with the Lucas ignition

Some people say watch at the tach while cracking, if needle doesn’t move, CPS is gone. I don’t know if the timing light tells you the same, probably it does.

Good luck,
Steve

1 Like

Paul,
My first reaction is the same as Steve’s, the CPS is the main culprit of a Marelli no start. I am not so sure though as it mostly affects the spark which I believe you said is working.

The connector you showed is the diagnostic connector. I doubt that has anything to do with it.

You may want to check your main relay as it is tied into the injectors. It is located in the trunk next to the fuel pump relay.

Baxtor,

Thank you for letting me know what that large black connector is for.  I know that smaller male and female spade connector that you mentioned.  I will check that out today.  

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Gcoder1,

Thank you for the suggestion. I know that the main relay is good because I removed the one that was in the car and installed a known good one from my 1990 V12 VdP that I removed after starting that car up and running it for a few minutes. So I don’t believe it is the Main Relay. I did the same thing with the Fuel Pump Relay to eliminate that as a possible problem. I have found it very helpful in the past to have two V12 Jaguars to help trouble shoot issues because many of the systems/components are the same. This has helped me to eliminate some possibilities, however the XJ-S has the Marelli ignition system and the 1990 V12 VdP has the Lucas ignition system so swapping parts there doesn’t help with everything. In addition to the ignition systems being different, the EFI ECU are also different part numbers, so I don’t believe I can swap them out.

I have been trying to get my hands on an oscilloscope to check out the CPS, but so far I haven’t located one. A few years ago I had a CPS fail on the 1990 XJ-S convertible and after swapping it out (based on a search of the Jag-Lovers archives) with a new one I was on the road again quickly. I purchased a spare one at the time and installed that early in my troubleshooting when I discovered that the injectors weren’t firing. Since then I have swapped all three CPS sensors that I have into the CPS position and I got good flashes from my inductive timing light with all three of them so I think they may all be good. I also checked the CPS sensor gaps for the CPS and Flywheel sensor and they are to spec. Right now I have the new CPS sensor in the CPS position and one of the used ones in the flywheel position. So at this point I don’t believe it’s a CPS sensor problem, but only time will tell. I have had new parts fail right out of the box, so I realize that it is possible for the three CPSs are all bad, but not likely. The car was running fine when I started work in the engine bay, so I suspect that the sensors are still OK. I may purchase another new CPS sensor soon if I don’t get the car running soon just in case, but I usually try to troubleshoot things down to a failed component before throwing money at new parts that will just wind up sitting on a shelf in my garage.

I will be taking a close look at the wires and connectors that Baxtor suggested and hopefully that will lead to something positive today. I remember those wires as being very small and fragile. Perhaps those wires, their shielding or their connectors have failed.

Thanks again for your help. I will post my progress and results.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Steve,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Yes, I agree about the redundancy of some of the Marelli components. So I was surprised when the car didn’t start at all after I completed a lot of engine bay work. If anything I expected some individual cylinder issues perhaps due to new plugs, mis-wires, or problems with some of the old wires going to the ignition components or some of the replacement connectors that I installed to the engine bay sensors and fuel injectors. In my troubleshooting I have been looking for and suspecting components common to both banks and taking a close look at the Marelli and EFI ECU wiring, connectors and sensors. There are a lot of them to consider and check.

I will take a look at the tach later today and see if that moves when cranking the engine. If it doesn’t, I will get another new CPS sensor (DAC4606, DBC12507) and see if that fixes it. I haven’t had any luck finding a friend or neighbor with an oscilloscope, so I will probably spend the $60 just to see if that will get the car running again.

If I have this right that little wire that Baxtor mentioned is the signal from Pin 24 of the Marelli ECU that feeds the engine speed signal to Pin #18 of the EFI ECU. Without this the injectors wouldn’t fire. This is what I was searching for yesterday but mistakenly thought the large black plastic connector carried that signal. Not it looks like a very small shielded wire carries that signal. A broken wire, broken connector, short between the inner core and the shielding, or failure of the shielding could result in the loss of the signal to fire the fuel injectors. I hope to find out later today.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Steve,

Yesterday was another busy but disappointing day working on my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible. The fuel injectors are still not firing when the engine cranks. Per your suggestion I watched the tachometer needle while cranking the engine and the needle did not move. I ordered two new CPSs (DBC12507) and expect to have them in hand tomorrow. I plan to replace both the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Flywheel Sensor with new ones just to eliminate them as possible causes. I am still looking for someone nearby with an oscilloscope that might be willing to help me out and I have another lead there that I plan to follow up on later today.

I found that small wire yesterday right where you mentioned that it would be, on the left side of the pedestal near the fuel rail. I separated the male and female parts of the connector and then verified connectivity of one of those wires to Pin #24 the Marelli ECU and then the other to pin #18 of the Lucas EFI ECU with my Digital Multi-meter. Then I connected the male and female connector and verified good connectivity all the way from Pin #24 of the Marelli ECU to Pin #18 of the Lucas EFI ECU. I also checked for a short between those pins and ground and did not find any connectivity there so I believe the shields on those coax cables are OK.

In an attempt to eliminate other suspect I swapped the Lucas 2PR Power Resistor (DAC2044) from the XJ-S convertible with the one in my 1990 V12 VdP and they both work fine in my 1990 V12 VdP, so I no longer suspect the Power Resistor as the cause of the injectors not firing.

I investigated further the relationship between the CPS and flywheel sensor with regards to the ignition system. I had my assistant crank the engine with both the CPS and Flywheel sensors attached and again my inductive timing light flashed when connected to spark plugs wires on either bank. Then I disconnected the flywheel position sensor and my timing light no longer flashed when the engine was cranked. So at least in that test the flywheel sensor is an input into the ignition system. As mentioned before I have three of the DBC12507 sensors on hand, one that was new and two others that were already on the car. I plan to swap them around today because I suppose that one of them could be bad. Since the one at the flywheel appears to be good, I will put that one at the CPS location and swap the other two to the flywheel location to see if I can get the timing light to flash. If it flashes with engine rotation that seems to indicate to me that the sensor and cable is OK.

I am certain that I am missing something here so any further suggestions are very welcome.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Baxtor,

I found that small wire just where you said it would be and the connectivity between the wires and pin 24 on the Marelli ECU and pin 18 of the Lucas EFI ECU was good.   I also checked for a short between the core wires and the shields and didn' find any.  You are correct that the large black plastic connnector is CF6 with the tachometer and ignition feeds.  I checked them out yesterday with my Digital Multi-Meter by tracing the tachometer wire to the instrument panel and the ignition wires.  I also checked that the DAC2044 Power Resistor is good by swapping it with the one in my 1990 V12 VdP.  I should have two new CPS sensors tomorrow (one for the CPS and the other for the flywheel sensor) and perhaps they will help.     

Thank you for your suggestions. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I am very surprised that the fuel injectors won’t fire and any advice or troubleshooting suggestion you might have are welcome.

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

Paul, have you checked the throttle position sensor.

Baxtor,

The Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is definitely on my list of stuff to check today. Last night I found the following on page 36 of the XJ-S ROM in the 5.3L EFI section “The fuel cut off function is controlled by the throttle potentiometer and the conditions under which it occurs are programmed into the ECU memory”. In this case I think the throttle potentiometer is the same as the TPS. Also on page 32 of the 6.0 Litre Engine Management System under the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) Circuit: “Note: Loss of the ground signal to pin 1 of the Powertrain Control Module Fuel (PCMF) connector will not be recognized by the code. But the engine will not restart. The signal voltage on the wiper being greater than that required to trigger the “clear flood” function which inhibits the FIs during cranking.”

I pretend to understand all of that, but this sounds like a bad TPS could be the problem. If you have any suggestions of how best to test the Throttle Position Sensor please let me know. Better yet, if you know a way to perhaps bypass the TPS to give a signal to the EFI ECU to enable the Fuel Injectors, maybe that will get this engine started at least to get it to idle. In the meantime I will test at least for continuity and perhaps resistance if I can figure that out.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

I have never tried bypassing the TPS Paul but if l were to try maybe a variable power supply connected to the red (wiper) wire and set at the idle setting of between .32 and .36 volts might cause the ecu to think all is ok.
You should have 5 volts on the green reference voltage wire l think.

Baxtor,

Thank you for the continuing assistance and advice. At this point I suspect that I may have knocked my Throttle Potentiometer (EAC9634 or Lucas 73348A) out of adjustment when I was doing other work in the engine bay. I can see on page 19-6 of the XJ-S ROM that there was a specific piece of test equipment called the “Lucas Potentiometer Adjuster” used by the dealerships for this exact purpose. Of course I don’t have one of those handy, although maybe the local dealership does?

I checked the resistance between the Red Wiper wire and the Yellow Throttle Pot Ground wire and observed that resistance with the switch at rest (I removed the switch from the capstan) was about 150 Ohms and that went up to 5.2 K Ohms at full rotation of the potentiometer. So it looked like it was working.

I checked the Yellow Pink wire (which connects to the green Throttle Pot Positive wire) and that had 4.93V very close to the 5 volts that you mentioned below.

I don’t have a variable power supply but I plan to try reinstalling the Throttle Potentiometer in the capstan, connecting up the wires with jumper cables and then making several adjustments to the potentiometer’s position until I get to the 3.2-3.6V figure you mention below on the Red Wiper Wire output. This will make the Throttle Potentiometer its own variable power supply so to speak to find the .32 to .36 volts.

Thank you again. I will let you know if this works. At this point I just want to be able to start up and run the engine at idle to check on all the other work that I did in the engine bay and I am hopeful that my problem was that the Throttle Potentiometer was knocked out of adjustment by the ham fisted mechanic (me).

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Baxtor,

I ran jumper wires from the Yellow Black wire to the Yellow wire and the Yellow Pink wire to the Green wire on the Throttle Potentiometer, then I ran another jumper from the Red Wire to the red wire on my Digital Multi-meter and then ran a ground from the black wire on my DMM to a good ground point in the car. Then with the Throttle Potentiometer reinstalled in the capstan I rotated it until I got .341 V reading and tightened down the two adjusting screws. I checked it about a dozen times opening and closing the capstan and the voltage on the red wire always fell in the .340-.350 V range. So I think it was calibrated as best as I could do. Unfortunately, the car did not start.

I expect the two new CPS sensors tomorrow and plan to install them and test again to see if they fix the problem.

I understand that many of the engine management sensors are for fine tuning, but which ones are absolutely needed to fire the injectors? It can’t be a large list. I have fuel pressure to the fuel rail, 12V to the injectors, I know that the Main Relay and Fuel Pump Relays are working, and the Power Resistor is working. With your help it appears that the Throttle Potentiometer is producing a signal in the correct range. What am I missing?

Thanks again for your help. I feel that I am making progress with your insights, now if I can only get the engine running again. Maybe the two new CPS sensors will make the difference tomorrow.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Sorry to hear it did not help Paul.
Another thought might be the coolant temp sensor and the air temp sensor. I think at least one of these (air temp l think) is vital for the car to start. Each lead can also be inadvertantly plugged into the wrong sensor. You may be able to unplug these and try a jumper across the plug terminals. The correct resistance values are listed somewhere.

1 Like

Baxtor,

Thank you for the additional suggestions. I plan to work on the car this
afternoon and will definitely check out those two sensors and their wiring
again.

I removed and replaced a bunch of original plastic connectors (fuel
injectors, sensors) in the engine bay with some nice used ones that I
harvested from my collection of spare used Jaguar engines during my recent
engine bay work. The connectors that I removed either crumbled in my hands,
had torn boots and/or damaged wires, or were missing the retaining pins to
hold the connector in place. I did verify pin to pin configuration and
connectivity before and after each repair. However, I must admit there was
beer involved during some of my late night soldering soirees. ;-).

I will verify the wiring again and also try some jumpers to see if they do
the trick getting the injectors to fire.

Thank you again for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I am trying to
document my work in these posting so that others may benefit from my
adventure.

I will get this engine to run again and I am sure that your help will be
instrumental in getting me there.

Paul

Hi Paul:
I have played with all sensors – car starts and runs with CTS, IAT, MAP, and even TPS disconnected.
They are important, but not to the point to prevent the engine from starting.

I did not read carefully all posts since the last time I checked, but, are you saying that all troubles started when you renewed some connectors?

There was a lister on the old site, cannot remember his name – he bought a non-running Marelli and had very hard time getting it to work.

He checked every single connector until he found out that whoever changed parts of the harness had inadvertently reversed the EV-1 style connector from the CPS.

Polarity is VERY, VERY important. Double, and triple-check that point please.

Good luck,
Steve

1 Like

Steve,

Thank you for sticking with me. I appreciate the help.
I didn’t get much time to work on the car today, but the time I did have I spent looking at the ignition and EFI sensors and wiring, particularly the connectors that I rewired that went to sensors. I haven’t finished that yet, but attached are pictures of the replacement connector that I installed for the CPS and a picture of the connector to the Marelli ECU showing Pins 1 and 2 where the CPS wires are supposed to go. I am hoping that someone (maybe you?) can trace the pins from the CPS connector to the Marelli ECU in a properly functioning car to see if I have these wires swapped. That could explain a lot of things. Particularly since the sensors that I did test today seemed to be wired properly and had resistance values consistent with the charts in the XJ-S ROM.
I picked up the two new CPS sensors today but I don’t plan on opening up the sealed bags or installing them until I confirm that my rewiring of the sensors was correct because I suspect that my original flywheel sensor that I have is OK and the new CPS sensor that I installed a few weeks ago is also good. .

At this point it would be great to know if I rewired this connector incorrectly so that I can open up the bundle, correct the mistake and hopefully get the car started.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

Just going by wire colour code my plug is wired the same as your pic Paul.

Baxtor,

Thank you for the response. I spent a considerable amount of time reading my ROM, studying my Electrical Guide, and checking the pins and connectors for connectivity and configuration before and after replacing the connectors. I thought that I did all of them correctly. However, I could have made an error somewhere. So I will continue to focus on my rewiring and the sensors today.

I thought about this last night after sending my post and decided that before I cut into that car side CPS harnesses and unsolder/resolder the two CPS sensor wires (and possibly damaging something that is perfectly OK) that I will build a small jumper harness with alligator clips and small pins to that I can easily swap those wires around just in case. That should allow me to evaluate if the fuel injectors fire when the engine is cranked (fuel pump OFF), or possibly for a quick startup of the engine before I open up that harness to resolder the wires.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA