Radiator question

Still trying to revive the old girl. I need a few things including the “oil cooler bypass” and a “radiator”.
Anyone out there have spares they’d like to move out. I’ll be posting more in depth info about the project soon but kind of tied up right now working on too many projects. I know the radiator will fit from cars other than a 1987 as I have another bad one that’s identical that came off of a 1990 with the 4.0. The 87 is the 3.6 so I’d have to guess that any rad from 87 to 90 with either the 3.6 or 4.0 fit just fine. Not sure about years beyond? Thanks and Cheers.

By “oil cooler bypass”, do you mean items 1 through 7 in this picture?

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/jaguar-xj6-xj12-parts/engine/sump-and-oil-delivery-systems/oil-filter-3-2-4-0-litre

If you are no longer fitting an oil cooler (as not fitted to the '93/'94 models) then you do not need the ‘bypass’ device (item 4). All you need to do is to throw away item 1 and by using shorter bolts, attach the oil filter head, item 8, directly to the block (with a suitable gasket of course)

Can’t help you with a spare radiator. I guess the only source would be a breaker’s yard or a friendly forum member with a parts car…

1 Like

Thanks Bryan N. Just a little concerned about the 4 bolts that attach (Number 1) the block that the hoses are attached to, to the engine block. Not sure if they would be difficult to remove without breaking on a 30 plus year old car. It’s my main concern but definitely makes sense if others are doing it without bolt breakage. Thanks again for your input.

Hi (insert name here) it helps to know where you are based, I have a replacement radiator but I’m in NZ so I would hazard a guess that it is’nt an option for you.
The bolts holding the oil filter had to the block are VERY tight, just try to use a 6 point socket on them to eliminate any possibility of rounding the heads with a 12 point, ask me how I know :slight_smile:
The other benefit of removing the oil cooler is that the oil stays cleaner as you are not mixing <>1 litre of old/dirty oil with your new oil.

Thanks Robin for your advice on the bypass. Those bolts scare me a bit. Broken bolt in that area would result in a large headache. Will plan everything out on that day and be fully prepared. My father in law is a mechanic so I’ll make sure he’s around for the event. Yes I am just a tad far from your home in that I’m in New Brunswick Canada. The shipping wouldn’t be cost effective for sure. I actually have a retired radiator repair guy looking into it for me. Seems to think we can swap one of the tanks (which I have one) even though Jaguar tank gaskets aren’t available. He measured the rad tonight and said that it’s a fairly common size and that he may be able to use a gasket for another vehicle of the same size. Anyway he’s looking into it. I’m trying to keep on budget and that’s why the extra effort on my part. Having lots of fun in the process and meeting many great and helpful people. Thanks again Robin.

I’ve got my radiator at rockaute, quality is a bit lower than oem but fitted without much issues shipped internationally, you can get side seals and some of bushes at jdht.com
J.