Installation of Passenger Side External Mirror on LHD 1969 E-Type FHC

When I got my 1969 E-Type FHC in 2002 it had an external mirror only on the left (driver’s) side door. I thought about installing a matching one on the right (passenger’s) side for years but never got around to it until now. Following a engine rebuild and clutch removal and replacement in early 2021 I have been driving the car again regularly and decided that it was finally time for me to install that mirror. Here are some before, in work, and after pictures of this successful project. I purchased the mirror from SNG Barratt, their part number C30827/1.

I am enjoying the additional visibility with the new mirror in place and I am very glad that I finally installed the mirror. It was easy to do and only took about an hour, including the time for a drive to evaluate and adjust the mirror.

Paul

5 Likes

Well done, I added both side mirrors to Bettie when I rebuilt her too.

1 Like

Is the RH side mirror held on with just sheet metal screws or is there some kind of nut and bolt affair?

Look good btw!

Les,
The kit from SNG Barratt included the mirror, a vinyl mount gasket, and two metal screws. After identifying the correct location, you drill two holes in the door large enough for the vinyl pins in the gasket to fit into. Once the gasket is in place, you position the mirror, insert and tighten the two screws, and rotate the mirror so that it hides the screws. There are no nuts or bolts. The mirror is held in place by the two metal screws which go into the gasket pins.

BTW, I have no affiliation with SNG Barratt other than as a long time satisfied customer.

Paul

1 Like

Very like the mounting for the original mirrors though Jaguar also had a large center hole, possibly because the original mirror needed some clearance for the swivel works:

1 Like

I also added the additional RH mirror to my car. I went to the local hardware store and bought a couple stainless steel screws and lock nuts. I didn’t want to ever have to back in and tighten, then retighten the screws till they hogged out. I wanted the base comfortably snug to help keep water from leaking down behind the gasket.

Love the original (?) patina: sooo much less stressful to just drive and enjoy!

1 Like

Very nice. Mine only has drivers side. While I was trying to get it back to drivability, I had kind of decided to eliminate all sideview mirrors for aesthetics. Having now driven it and discovered that the positioning of the rear window prevents me from seeing anything more than about 40 feet behind me, I’m definitely keeping the sideview mirror and might even add one on the other side.

I can’t possibly imagine driving a car with only one side view mirror: I’m so used to having them on every vehicle I own now, including the hot rod, I couldn’t do without a passenger side mirror.

I put the Fossway convex mirror on the passenger side of my car. I like it and my car wasn’t harmed during the installation :wink:

2 Likes

My other old cars are generally driven topless, so pretty much a 360 view (if I were an owl) and I’m used to either no or useless sideview mirrors. The FHC, on the other hand, seems to have about 150 degrees of blind spot.

Large hole for mounting door mirror.
My 69 XKE has the original side mirror with the extra long spring assembly that extends into the door. There by it needed the large hole.
John W

Wiggles,
Yes, I am enjoying the patina of my E-Type again while driving it regularly following the 2021 engine rebuild and clutch replacement. Last month I had new tires mounted on the original wire wheels, I replaced the soggy brake fluid sensor cork floats, and added the passenger side mirror. I just replaced the front shocks, and I started replacing the coolant hoses (last changed in 2002) today. Next I plan to replace the soft front brake hoses and bleed the brakes, followed by a bunch of other things that I have been putting off for years now.
My former 1984 XJ6 VdP was repainted in 2006, then came my former 1957 MK VIII in 2008, followed by our 1990 XJ-S convertible in 2014. In between those three bare metal repaints were partial repaints of my former 1987 XJ6 VdP and my 1990 V12 VdP. So I had a close regular relationship with an excellent paint shop for many years. The 1969 E-Type was next up for a bare metal repaint, but my exodus from California earlier this year means that will be delayed for some time. So for right now I am driving, fixing, enjoying my E-Type again. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
BTW, my car was originally painted Sable. It was repainted British Racing Green by prior owner number 5 decades ago. I believe I am owner #7. The paint is old, tired, and cracking (especially on the nose where a bondo repair is evident. Still it starts every time, and gives me a lot of pleasure while driving and working on it. There are not many E-Types here in Upstate South Carolina, so it gets lots of love while I am out driving it, even with all that patina. :smirk:

Paul

1 Like

Paul, I put the part number in and it did not come up? Not sure why, can you help. Would like to put on a right-side mirror on my 70 FHC. Best, David

David,
I just went on the SNG Barratt USA website, put in the part number C30827/1 and found the right side mirror for $133.64. I suggest that you try again or call them if you are having difficulty navigating their website.
BTW, after using the passenger side mirror for several months of regular driving I decided that I was not completely satisfied with how the mirror was mounted with the two screws going into the plastic plugs in the gasket. I found that the mirror would loosen up and wiggle a bit while driving on our country roads and that tightening up the screws did not help because they loosened up again. So last month I removed the passenger side mirror, cut three hole in the door that mimicked the driver side mirror installation, painted the bare metal, installed two steel clips, mounted the mirror on the modified gasket, reinstalled the screws, and tightened them up. The passenger mirror is now more solidly installed and no longer vibrates or wiggles as I drive. Here are some pictures of the modified reinstallation.

Paul

2 Likes

David,

I suspect that you are experiencing a common “issue” with the SNGB web site. If you have pre-selected a particular vehicle (eg your S2 FHC E-Type) in the web site, it will filter out any parts you search for if they are not entered in the database as being applicable to your car. So, for example, your S2 FHC E-Type is not included in the list of applicable applications for C30827/1. To overcome this, just deselect all vehicles from the “refine” list on the LH Side of the web page. Now, there will be no filtering, and the part will appear when you search for it. SNGB might want to address this, as it is reported quite frequently (particularly with “accessory” type parts, which don’t seem to include any applicable applications in the SNGB database) , and may result in lost sales…

Hope this helps
-David

1 Like

Great advice, that worked, thank you!

Paul, did you custom make the clip?

The other alternative would be rivnuts

Mine uses rivnuts to secure the rearview mirror.