Installing a Bentley ceiling dome console with light and microphones

Hello all,
Since I am bored waiting for Xmas to be over, I am looking into installing a ceiling dome console.
The purpose of this is two-fold:

• Getting some decent lighting for my aging eyes,
  • Positioning microphones for a hands-free phone set up.
    I am thinking that a complete unit from a Bentley could be just what is needed.
    I’d love to find a kind Bentley owner who could tell me more about the console.
    Any other input welcome.

Position the microphone where the cabin temp sensor on a RHD would go, crash roll. It’s pre stamped, in a good location and invisible.
Installing that thing is too much effort and it won’t look good. It’s also likely much deeper than you think and you would have to weld brackets to the roof to fit this. And cut up the roof liner and so on. Then it will probably make the cabin the tiniest bit louder. The buttons clash with the other buttons in the car, in fact the entire design doesn’t fit it. I see it’s burl wool but that doesn’t make it fit. The XJC has nice lighting, two lamps even, brighter than the normal XJ, and a map light. What more do you want? Better reading lights, okay. But when do you actually read something in the drivers‘ seat? A little flash light would work better for most, if not all, cases.

You would also need to match the contour to the roofline, and it’s $200.
Doesn’t look like a regular VAG item is identical, not surprising given that they were usually bad quality and nothing I would put in a bentley. These usual items would feel right at home in a S2 XJ, sometimes working, sometimes not, but rarely how you want them to! Since yours will be nice and in good working order you will never remember how bad it can get.
On top of all that the push buttons might not work without a central control module it needs to talk to for so many real and imaginary reasons. It‘ll be too much effort to get this right I‘d say.

Thanks for the reality check.
Fiddling with the headliner would not be a concern since, … we are here:… :slight_smile:

1 Like

It will still be a hassle, I don’t think you have enough space between the fiberglass and the sheet metal, so you would have to make a bulge. Then you‘d have to cover that and you still need to make it work - I wouldn’t even try if the part was free :slightly_smiling_face:
Instead of going through the days of effort I recommend a weekend trip in a freshly restored and beautiful XJC fully paif by money saved and time not spent on your back with a large piece of glass wool :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes