Installing front brake shoes on XK120

Hello, I am reviving my dad’s '54 XK120 DHC. I have replaced the rear brake shoes with no issues, but those front one’s are a mystery to me. Those retention springs are so strong that I can’t get the shoes onto the cylinders. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Welcome Ryan.
Since you say the retention springs are strong, that suggests to me that you have the later type self-adjusting brakes. Yes it takes some leverage. The earlier type Micrams are not so difficult.
Do you have the Service Manual? Here is the relevant page.

1 Like

Hi and thanks. Yes, it is the latter car. I do have the manual and have tried following the instructions but just can’t got the shoes over the cylinders and I hesitate to use a pry-bar in fear of damaging the cylinders but it appears that’s the way to go?

Would I face any problems trying to fit later braking system to the earlier front backplates? Thanks.

john

Hi. I hope you aren’t asking ME that question because I really know nothing about these great old cars. There are a LOT of experts on this site that will be able to help you. Good luck.

Hi John
The later (self adjusting brakes) would theoretically fit the early back plates - the cylinders have the same hole pattern.
Make sure you have correct brake shoes (later=without notch) to the cylinders.

I just removed a complete later self adjusting front brake system from our early XK, because i put it back to original :smile: the later backplates (flat perforated blanking covers) are also available - just in case…

Best Regards
Lukas

Thanks for the reply and yes, I have the correct shoes. I will attempt using a pry-bar to get the shoes onto the cylinders but am afraid of damaging them. Those springs are a killer!

Hi John
Try to hold one brake shoe in a approx. 45 degree angle away from the backplate (ends allmost in the cylinder notch) then hook on the spring(s) and push the shoe in position…
You should be able to finally lock the self adjusters later.
Good luck and be careful - those springs are nasty.

Best Regards
Lukas

Ok, I’ll give it another try tomorrow after the grandkids are gone so as not to subject them to any colorful language while doing it. Thanks for the help.

Colorful language helps at least sometimes :wink:
A second pair of hands too!

I wear allways a thick pair of leather gloves and good safety glasses :+1:

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

I agree. I’ll be outfitted for battle.

1 Like

Hello John, I also wasn’t able to refit the new brake shoes as described in the service manual. From memory I did it as follows: At first I hooked the pull-off spring to the pin on the backplate and to the brake shoe. Then I plugged the brake shoe into the slot of the cylinder of the brake cylinder. The opposite end of the brake shoe rested on the hub. I inserted a pry bar between this end of the break shoe and the hub and levered the break shoe until it plugged into the slot of the back of the housing of the brake cylinder.
Regards Joerg

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try that.

That’s the method I always use(d) on brake shoes.

Thanks Lukas. I did notice a pair of pins in each later style backing plate, which do not exist in the earlier backing plates. I presume these are anchoring points for the springs. I would need to add these to my backing plates somehow.

john

Hi John
I will have a look on the later backplates and send you a picture later today :+1:
Best Regards
Lukas

Pins are the anchors for the self adjuster mech.

Mike

Hi John
This are original later backplates, I guess from a XK140.
As you can see there are two holes to install the pins which are bolt on items.
There is also an original later brake shoe without the notch at the end to fit the later brake cylinders.

Best Regards
Lukas

Thank you, Lukas. I don’t think I can find those pins, but it would be easy enough to turn a groove in a G5 bolt and the rest is just a split washer and a nut. When I get to this part of the project, I may ask you to help me with the exact position of the holes. Thanks again.

john