Installing Fuel injection and electronic ignition Etype Series 2

Hi All

I have just installed a fuel injection and electronic ignition system supplied by Emerald on my 4,2 Etype Series 2 2+2 1970. The system used the Mangoletsi direct head port injection manifold, K6 ECU, trigger wheel and pick up, 6 way coil pack, Lambna sensor etc, etc. Before I undertook the installation I looked on line for any videos of other Jag enthusiasts that had done this to their car but could not find any so I videoed most of the installation. The video is in two parts and can be viewed on youtube. If anyone wants any more information on the installation happy to answer any queries via this forum.

Hopefully the restoration of the interior will be completed in the next few months so I can MOT the car, then get it on a rolling road for mapping.

5 Likes

Paul, please report back on your progress. I am interested in the improvement in running over SUā€™s.
Could you tell me what you expect the project will cost all in? Meaning with air filtration & fuel pump & lines etc. Thanks

1 Like

Paul;
Good video and a very tidy installation
It would be interesting to hear the engine before and after the installation. Actually just running after installation is all I would need as I can listen to my own with Z-S carbs for the ā€˜beforeā€™ aspect.
Thanks for posting.

Regards, Joel.

What a project!! What a great job of installation!! Wish I had it!!

The other edge of that sword is, who would put that much money into an old six cylinder instead of a modern light weight high power short block?

Iā€™m sure others are torn between those two truths. Congratulations though, it certainly is a work of art as well as something very useful.

LLoyd

If the law is on your side, pound on the law.

If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts.

If neither are on your side, pound on the table.

-Carl Sandburg

1 Like

Hi David

On the Jpeg images below is the full parts list that came with the kit from Emerald. It cost Ā£5k but my car was fitted with Strombergs so to upgrade these to SUā€™s was going to cost Ā£3.5 to Ā£4K. I also wanted to get rid of the distrbutor based ignition system. So Ā£5k was a lot to spend but gave me everything I wanted, and with improved fuel economy for everyday use plus a bit extra for the odd track day I thought the investment was worth it.

IMG_0766

IMG_0765

2 Likes

Well, I did it,

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10403&hilit=emerald

and now I am putting a big valve head on!

http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11907&p=96529&hilit=emerald#p96529

You can even see me drive it!

1 Like

nice installation
Iā€™m in the process of injecting my C type kit I liked the idea of the look of SUā€™s but did not want to destroy HD8ā€™s so I converted 3 HD7ā€™s so they are straight bored to 50mm , the flywheel is machined 36-1 timing and running megasquirt with edis6
I have just got it started so will be mapping the engine over next few weeks

2 Likes

Great work Paul

My Emerald kit is finally ready to ship after waiting over 5 months!

Have you done any mods to the engine?

Thanks for post.

Hi

The engine is standard although I rebuilt it with new mains, shells, timing chian, valves, crank seal and rings. So I will need to run it in a bit before getting it on the dyno. Oil pressure looks good so fingers crossed all will be OK. Everything I have read says the 4.2 engine is a very robust unit just make sure its got good oil pressure. Even the original starter motor seems to start the engine without difficulty.

Iā€™m going through a performance build with uprated work to the head and hope to take advantage of the programmability and smoothness of the new system. Itā€™s going to be quite a change from my dual strombergs!

1 Like

Fantastic job Paul. Congratulations

Beautiful work Paul,

Tell me, how did you plumb the fuel return to the tank?
Is the arrangement similar to the S3 E-type?

Regards,
Doug

Doug, the swirl pot is in the engine bay and the fuel return is plumbed in at that point.

Hi Doug

The fuel system works as follows:

Retain the original fuel system from the car fuel pump to the glass bowl, then output from the glass bowl goes through the external filter shown on my video as the blue filter behind the swirl pot. The output from the filter goes into the bottom of the swirl pot. This is the fuel supply side completed. The output from the swirl pot goes to the high pressure fuel pump which sends the fuel to the fuel rail, anyover pressure of fuel is regulated by the pressure valve on the end of the fuel rail, (red unit on the end of the fuel rail) which feeds any over pressure back to the other input on the swirl pot. As the fuel supply form the glass bowl is pressure regulated by the cars original fuel pump you do not need a return supply to the fuel tank. This layout is detailed in a few other posts I have read about Etype EFI systems and seems to work really well.

Paul, Robin,

Thanks. I just read up on it on Webconā€™s site as I wasnā€™t familiar with the term.
Could you share a picture on where and how you located the swirl pot?

Thanks,
Doug

Hi Doug

I have videos the fuel routing systemyoutube link below

Thanks
Paul

3 Likes

I will follow this thread with great interestā€¦ I will go the ā€œMegasquirtā€ way with my OTS-69 since I have done this a couple of times before but with other cars (MB).
It would be great if someone could share their ignition map as soon as itā€™s usable, it will save a lot of time for me to have a start map.
And I also wonder about the swirl pot,filter and high pressure pumpā€¦ was it included in the kit? Iā€™m not familiar with the concept since I only converted mechanical fuel injection (K-Jet) and they have a return line for the fuel.

Peter,

good thread on advance curves.

Swirl pot is an easy way to get a return line on an old fuel system, an intank high pressure pump is ideal.

Paul

AIā€™m curious about the fuel injection, the Mangoletsi direct head port injection manifold should support sequential injection, is it batch or sequential fuel injection on your system?
I need to decide which version of EFI. System to build, there is a slight difference in pricešŸ˜„.

Hi Peter

The two options from Mangoletsi are ā€˜head port injectionā€™ and ā€˜injectors in throttle bodyā€™. I wanted head port injection and it came set up as sequential injection so as to improve throttle response and fuel economy whilst reducing emissions. As the injectors are controlled by the Emerald K6 ECU, (engine management system) I assume it would simply be a mapping issue to decide how you set up the ECU for the type of engine performance you want.