Installing Retractor Type Seat Belts on MK10

Hello All,

Working on my 1962 MK10 and would like to update the front belts to retractor style and add same style belts to rear seats. The rear seat belts are pretty straight forward, but I am trying to understand the mounting for the front belts. I researched and found information from members that have done it on MK2’s and understand the retractor mounting at the base of the that B pillar. Do any members have pictures or info for the lower B-pillar mounting of the retractor on an MK10?

Thank you in advance,
Double_A

i would advise against stronly

John, could you elaborate on the concern with installing these. There is not much info out there and I am trying to understand all the perspectives and install details.

the three.point harness geometry was very well researched inho you should just look closely at the floor points and check out the pillars -do you like that wood? mk 2 very different in some was but obviously done by same team . why reduce the resale value? sorry

I think the fronts are not an issue (unless you have 2 point belts in the front ?)

The rears, as far as I can tell, it would be possible to mount the the 2 outside rears by adding a third point, the rear parcel shelf will allow reinforcement imo, the middle one may be tricky.

Do you frequently have rear passengers ?

Check Ebay, as their is a maker of retractor seatbelts for our model, made in Germany

1 Like

Tony, thank you for the tip on the German maker for the MK10. Currently, fronts have 3 point manual belts. I am just trying to understand possible mounting of the retractor for the fronts on the B pillar. Rears look pretty easy, all points are there for 3 point belts. Worst case would be to make a trim cover to go over the retractor on the rear shelf, or mount in trunk and port through to cabin.

pic of front retractor…from oz ebay might help

been meaning to fit grey ones to mine for ages

just enter “mkx seatbelt”…or 420g in Ebay…wide range of colors, static and retractor, front and rear

better without passengers i coverted rear to office passengers are always loking to bitch unless enthusiasts then they want to drive . man that thing was better than v12e in the mountains on cng or in the snow and ice