Instrument Cluster light indicators arranged differently

Hi guys, I have a 1995 XJS v12 2+2 so I was reading in the repair book to do some maintenance and few minor repairs. So what I came across, that confused and concerned me is, upon looking up each of the warning lights/startup lights on the instrument cluster and in the book, the arrangement of the lights on my dash are different than the arrangement that was illustrated in the book. I’m trying to suspect that the cluster may have been changed some point in time and had been tampered with or maybe I’m thinking that single year production may have had amendments starting from one vin number ending up to a certain one. Does anyone have any info to this explanation

Please post a picture of your instrument cluster.

What book are you looking at? The cluster was completely changed for the facelift.

Alright so this is the book I’m reading image|375x500

I have the cluster off now. But what I can say is that the ignition/battery indicator light is located on the 8th slot (if you’re counting from right to left as you look at the cluster from the front view)

Your instrument cluster is correct for your 1995 V12 XJS (rare car). The book/manual you are looking at appears to be relevant to the pre-facelift cars - which have a different instrument cluster.

HTH.

Andy.

That is the same ROM I have, at least the cover is. It’s a decent reference. Except for the inaccuracies.
If you are looking at page 86-3 you are looking at a pre-facelift cluster. As Andy notes, your car is a facelift.

In my version it looks like page 138 has your cluster. If you are saying that the difference you are seeing is the sequence of the indicator lights across the top, I don’t know about that. In my ROM the 7th from right is battery and 8th is Check Engine. No idea if those changed year to year, but I would not take that ROM as the definitive reference.

That ROM does contain some post facelift supplements (like the above,) but they are a bit wonky in terms of years. For example, “Engine Management…1992 MY On…” is an excellent description of the Marelli ignition system. Which was introduced in 1989.

Regards
Bob

That’s what my book is also saying, however the 14th light is the low oil pressure indicator (reading from left to right, looking from the front view). Which is the 7th (reading from right to left, looking from the front view)

Jack,
While you have that thing out, take a picture of the back, right side - there should be some paper stickers there - what is the Jaguar part # - like DAC 11163, DAC 11157, or DAC 11187 - it should be one of those three. There were two engine fitments to the '95, a 4.0L and the 6.0L. The Instrument Cluster for the 4.0 engine would have a warning light for “Skip 1st” (meaning skip 1st gear when starting from stop), There would also be a switch for that function down on the center console near the window switches for the 4.0 powered cars. Your '95 6.0 should have neither of those. If your instrument cluster has the “skip 1st” light in the warning light strip, then someone has changed out the cluster from a 4.0 powered car. Some of the other warning lights may differ or be in different locations also.

AE

Thanks everyone for your guidance and knowledge. Made my brainstorming a little lighter.

You might be reading the wrong part of it. See if there is updated cluster info in the 6.0 supplement section.