Instrument cluster plug pins?

Ok so I thought I’d look into my malfunctioning oil pressure and temp gauges in my 93 xjs. I decided to pull the cluster again and clean up the contacts on holes on the printed circuit and the pins or contacts on the wire harnesses. I unplugged them and went to scuff the wire harness contacts up and I noticed that one of the brass contacts was broken and off to the side! I took a piece of metal and bent it to fit and plugged it in. They both seem to be working! However I know that this is a temp fix because I don’t know if the gauges will read correctly with two different types of metal and them basically being laid on top of each other, as in it could effect the resistance causing the gauges to be off. So does anyone have any idea about what the wire harness brass contacts part number might be? Or a possible alternative part that would fit the harness?

Ya done good. Might wanna leave it alone.

If you insist on further fiddling, you might locate a shop that makes stained glass stuff. Stained glass is assembled by wrapping the edges of each piece of glass with a strip of copper tape and then soldering all the pieces together. The copper tape comes in rolls, but you’d only need a few inches. I think it comes in various widths, too, so note what width you need – or just be prepared to cut it to size. Peel the backing and stick a piece down where you need it. I would not rely on electricity to conduct through the adhesive layer on the back side of the copper tape, so either solder the end of it back to the strip in the flexible circuit or fold it under or something.

You might be able to do the same fix with aluminum tape, easier to find as it’s at Lowe’s or HD. Can’t solder to aluminum tape, though. And it’s not as rugged as the copper tape, which is meant to hold your stained glass artwork together for eternity.

1 Like

That’s a good idea, however the part that broke is actually the brass spring type connector on the wire harness itself. I’m running on about 3hrs of sleep so my brain isn’t putting out the word I want. Smh

You can buy sheet brass in a variety of thicknesses in any decent hobby shop. They’re pretty easy to cut to shape. Ideally I guess you’d want a whole new connector, but I dunno where you’d get one.

1 Like

Yeah it’d be nice if all that type stuff was standard across manufacturers. But that ain’t happenin! Lol

Regular connectors aren’t too bad, gettin’ better all the time. But those connectors that plug into the dash panel with the flexible circuit board in between are oddball suckers. I dunno anyone else that does that, although for all I know it could have been SOP among automakers back in those days.

1 Like

I did find a place that has one that kinda looks like it, however it’s showing them as $35 each​:flushed::flushed::flushed::flushed:

Ok so nevermind, I guess my fix didn’t work smh! Got in the car and as soon as I turned the key to ignition, the oil pressure jumped passed the 8 and within a half mile my temp read all the way past the H. Oh well