Instrument lights when driving at night

I just added a few minor issues on a Mk10 and Mk9 in the ”what did you do to your Saloon today” topic. Lights and irritating noise issues, if anyone cares to look
Good night

Related to this topic, I put green LED’s in all my gauges, and love the result. The idea came from the UK E Type forum. Very inexpensive but fiddly job, but not all my gauges glow bright green at night, very cool look!

1 Like

I’m thinking of going blue LED (for the gauges).

Again, LEDs are excellent but when the instruments don’t heat up there will eventually be condensation. Maybe less important if driving only during summer but worth consideration-
I‘d like green more, but what was Original?

Please provide a bit more detail, my XJ series I & II need help in this department. I’ve burned up a bunch of LED attempting to do the same thing. I’d sure like to know how to be successful.

Thanx
Mark

I just ordered a set of LED lights for the interior of the 1967 MK2. I believe they give a white light, which is ok. I’ll be thrilled to be rid of the dim lighting I’ve lived with for the past 30 years. I know I can easily change the bulbs on the gauges ,interior, glove box, license plate lamp, boot lid lamp, and backup light. My concern is how to get to the bulbs on the speedometer ant tachometer. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mel R.

I didn’t use bulbs. I got a strip of something like the attached image from super bright LEDs or some similar retailer. It’s just a strip of tiny LED bulbs with adhesive backing. I clipped short sections for each small gauge, I believe 3 lights, and soldered wires onto them, and stuck them inside the gauge housing so they shine onto the face of the gauge. The two larger gauges I used maybe 6 or 9 bulbs. Same process. Then wired them all together into a switch on the dash. They are invisible when off and the green glow radiates when on.

2 Likes

Interesting… I’m sure they look unusual & interesting… Being more of a ‘purist’, I’m content to put in white LED’s to ‘amplify and update’ the quality of lighting which should have been installed at the factory all those years ago. For now I’m just looking for recommendations on how to replace the four bulbs (two each) for the speedometer and tachometer. I’m hoping they would be easily accessible from underneath the wood dash.

This is interesting to me as I have fitted some white LEDs to my 3.8S but would consider changing to green ones. Who was your supplier for these? Negative ground ones I presume.

I don’t remember where I got them but they look like the image shared above. Yes negative ground but it doesn’t matter I don’t think, they have two terminals, and I would guess it would work any way you wire them. And they were tape, not bulbs.

sometimes you can reach up under,

if not, remove one of the the tach or speedo, and you should have access to do both

I say you should be able to reach, as removing the instrument requires reaching up and loosening the retaining nuts anyway, which are adjacent to the bulb.

the bulb and wiring can be withdrawn rearwards

for someone with very large hands, it may not be possible to do this

My hands are ‘average’ size. Would I have to lower the steering column to do this?

I did not have to drop down the steering column, it would probably help though

my hands are maybe average size, “large” in plastic gloves
some swearing was needed, have a feel around

take a look in the Service Manual re changing the globes and removing the tach or speedo
(the speedo is harder, as it has a cable with knurled screw at the back)

I also found Instrument condensation is worse with LED

Here in warm dry Southern California condensation should not be an issue. If I can do this without having to remove the steering column or tach or speedo I’m encouraged… I’d imagine I would still have to remove the flat under the dash panel but that’s no big deal.
Thanks for the info

dunno what Series XJ you have,

S2 FSM says remove instrument to change bulb

Also had mixed results with LED…the instrument bulbs with 1 only LED are no improvement on original, multi led ones are much better

otoh, the tiny green internal indicator bulbs, ba9/282 where a huge improvement in the indicator position

Are there screw in bulbs with 3 rather than 2.2W?