Instruments stopped working S11 1975

Is there a common ground that would cause all guages except the speedo to stop working? I was trying to find a source for a new feed to the washer pump, (didn’t need it in the end :frowning: ) after I replaced everything the guages stopped working.

There are three multi-pin connectors behind the facia. One is for the gauges and the other for the illumination. Don’t know which is which, possibly you knocked one loose while under the dash. I know because I did when I was trying to replace a bulb in the fuel gauge. Ended up removing the Tach instead.

Thanks David will check it out, quite. A strong possibility there.

Robin,

chances are your instruments get ground through the mounting.

Yet, there are distinctive ground wires, but on SII cars they don’t go into multiple connectors, but lead to tabs in the metal dashboard carrier. You can see them in my album http://www.jag-lovers.org/include/iv3.php3?zx=SdADygkIiM8ED8ZK%2FZfkxwXHDwWencoEzgcYtq28QAAWAozY%2BzjUQULa1rsF2P4ArIvIGA5QRZTQ9znERT3cywhFxUhAzYvIGApHL9bZuwTdTDzH1vVF%2FDpAyc77RMVJNtaM%2BT0KRgudx88HxzsFnpjGQs8PBp%2BfEAvQCgCZnsdKzQz%2BlpbIBPj7CQ%3D%3D on pics 1, 2 and 4.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

With later versions, Robin; the instruments were grounded individually through a metal carrier, as Jochen mentioned. The carrier was then grounded by a separate wire…

In principle; grounding any of the instruments’ bodies should ground the lot…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)