Insure your jag

I know a couple guys who have vintage Ferraris and were considering getting a bunch of Elements, so they bought a couple to try out first. They put a bundle of oily rags in an old BBQ grill and got a nice inferno going, and the Element snuffed it out quickly and easily. They went ahead and bought at least a dozen each to keep in their cars.

Thanks, everyone, for the recommendation of the Element Fire Extinguisher. Frankly, I got complacent a few years ago and removed my cumbersome old-school fire extinguisher from behind the seat of my car. The form factor and reputation of this product beats all!

I presume these Element-type fire extinguishers don’t leave corrosive residue behind (maybe residue, but not corrosive?)

I did a search on this topic and didn’t see anything that definitely stated they have a clean residue, the way Halon and Halotron-like extinguishers are known for.

For conventional dry chemical agents, the corrosive damage they can cause can make one hesitate to use them if the fire is very small. A paralyzing state of affairs since a small fire can quickly become a big one. Best not to even have to consider that.

Dave

1 Like

I carry two extinguishers… a Halotron if my engine catches fire and a typical ABC if someone else needs it.

Okay, if it’s David or Drew or Lynn or Lloyd they can have the Halotron but the Ferrari next to me at a car show will have to be happy with the snowstorm.

3 Likes

And having them within easy reach is an obvious necessity…

Good comparison element versus ABC fire extinguishers. And many more on YouTube.

It looks like you need to get closer with the element.

1 Like

Dave - this is copy/paste from Elements’ website

Element’s discharge gas is totally clean and will not leave any residue. During discharge a chemical reaction does take place which occasionally expels a trace amount of soot from the casing. Even in the most extreme instance, the net total of discharge is so minuscule compared to a traditional extinguisher that it is effectively considered to be non-existent. Beyond the clean nature of the discharge Element is non-corrosive, non-toxic, and environmentally safe.

No affiliation - I don’t own one – Craig

Looks like I’ll need to pick up a couple of those extinguishers then. Especially for the E-type!

Dave

I keep mine behind the seat, came out fast when I was hit in '20 and the fuel line sprung a leak with engine running. Very quickly shut down and pushed off the gas puddle without ignition, fortunately. I haven’t moved that rapidly since 1976.

1 Like