Interested in learning about Chevy fuel injection

I’m going to look at the '85 sedan that I recently posted the ad for.
He makes it sound like it’s God’s Gift to Women :heart_eyes:
I’ll pull the engine trans for my '75 sedan.

I always thought I wanted a carbed engine but maybe not?
I’m thinking this has TPI. This seems pretty high tech to me.
I think these engines are easily identified by the rectangle casting located
between the heads with the main air inlet aiming forward towards the fan.

I know some of what I call ‘newer’ engines have 4 hold down bolts running in a line
along the valve cover - is this some tell-tail engine ID?

I’ve read over the years that Chevy had some issues with their
ignition sender shorting out from rain water - I think it is down by the crankshaft pulley?
Is this all years?

I believe this is the only fuel injection system I want to mess with. Is it reliable / easy to get parts for?
I want a 700r4 trans behind whatever engine I end up with. So this car has to have that, the owner doesn’t know.

I have a printed out page of the different trans pan shapes so I’ll just take a look.

Is there an easy (casting numbers on the block) to make sure this is a 350 and not a 305?
And I’d like something that runs on regular gas- ya, really, I’m no hot rodder.

He said it wouldn’t pass smog in CA, so maybe the engine is earlier than '85.
I do know what a tbi system looks like and am not interested in them.
And the cross fire setup looks like staggered 4 barrel carbs?

I’d like to hear any and all thoughts and experience you have to offer.
thanks, I’m to see this thing at 10 am tomorrow = 70 mile drive

thanks, I’ve got cash but this guy is going to have to be hungry
I’m in no hurry but this might be the engine for me.

So stop reading all the want ads I’ve posted and lets TALK lumps.
'maybe this pic ‘attaches’ to this post - it’s what I think TPI looks like
again, thanks

1 Like

You are correct. That is tpi “tuned port injection”
TBI, throttle body injection looks like a carb essentially with 2 big fuel injectors on top.

No clue as to what a matching transmission may be in the sellers mind. Chevy 350 engine and 350 trans? May have a 4 speed auto? It the drive train from a camaro? Vette? Lol

1 Like

https://tpiparts.net/

thanks Jay for all the info-links
I Really like the series II sedans but the Jaguar engine is a weak link in my book.
Sounds like the TPI is no better.
I will go see and drive the car, I’ll get a couple of cups of coffee in me and get some breakfast on the road and enjoy the drive but even now I can’t see myself getting involved with an unreliable engine.

Probably go with a factory crate motor with a carb that can run on regular, it will probably have one of those HI ignition distributors - hope they are reliable!
I’ll post a full report and snap off a few pics - again, thanks

Weak, in respect that they’re no fireball, but in good nick and well-msintsined, it’s a perfectly good engine.

Always have seemed to be highly reliable.

Sorry. My intent was to not scare you away from TPI. Chevy made millions of them. Parts are available.
I personally wouldn’t go with 30yr old TPI stuff, but that doesn’t make it a bad choice.
Carb and HEI have been proven for many more years.
Having both lumps, carb’d and LS they both have pros and cons.
Just research and make an informed decision that is best for you.

that’s good advice, thanks

Gary,
I appreciate your apprehensions with FI systems. 21 years ago when I jumped into this pool I had no idea. I have always thought the TPI set up was the most aesthetically beautiful manifestation of modern FI. The sleek intake plenum with its forward-facing throttle body. The external curved intake runners. It was a masterpiece. But it was early production FI and came with its own set of bailing wire. The next generation GM FI V8 was the LT1. It was the final hurrah for the original SBC V8 used from 92 through 97 before the all new LS series came along. Back in 2000 when I was evaluating my options, I chose a 96 LT1 with its matching 4L60E from a wrecked Impala with only 51K on the clock. I really loved the appearance of the Tuned Port but I decided they were too crude by 2000 standards. The LS options were becoming available but were crazy expensive and a lot harder to install. Oil pans had to be modified as there were no bolt-on aftermarket options back then for LS implants into Jags. Okay, here I go. I know I will get my share of push back for this recommendation. If you are seriously considering a Chevy FI system where you would be taking as much as you can from a stock donor with minimal adaptation to the drivetrain and the Jag, consider a mid-90’s LT1/4L60e driver train. Okay her come the stones! Yes the Optispark distributor on the LT1 engine is prone to problems due to moisture. I would recommend a 96 or 97 donor where the venting issues were improved. Plan on servicing it before the engine is installed. The stock LT1 made more stock HP than the TPI. They are more reliable (note my comment on the optispark) and are pretty easy to install into XJ’s (the block is the original SBC). With the use of the stock harness and computer (PCM) they can literally run while strapped to a pallet if connected to fuel and power. Amazingly, there are still LT1 drivetrains out there. Again, I know I will feel heat from this recommendation. But if it’s your first jump into Chevy FI conversions and you want to utilize a stock donor drivetrain, the LT1 is the simplest, safest and most economical option. I am sure Carl will agree.

1 Like

Not at all: It’s just funny to hear that LT1s are now old tech…!!

I still think of’em as modern!

Bob:

You read my mind. I had a choice at a recycle for a nice TPI from a Corvette and an LT1 from a 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Same price 2500. Transmission and extra’s included. The idea of an alloy head still disturbed me.

It turned out just fine Lottsa of guidance. including you! A real adventure in to the unknown for me. The folks at Johns cars were immensely helpful Andrew at Jaguar -Specialties as well.

Suncoast as well for a perfect set of down pipes.

My major mistake was the after market harness, I’ll go no further here.
The engine I chose was tuned for torque. Exactly what the doctor ordered for the heavy XJ.

The surgery began in 2001. It passed the SMOG referee in 2006. Still in my garage. Ready to go. I not so much… years and covid…

As to the Optilite. That did concern me. Swapping them out in situ is no fun I got a new one., Son’s connections got a deal. The later vented model. As i read, the issue was not so much rain water, but coolant from a leaking seal on the water pump A misadventure on my part busted the WP drive!!!
I thought I was screwed. No, an electric WP from Mezzere (sp). fixed and water issuer gone.

Gary:
Get a kit and an engine and trans and PCM and get started

Carl

thank Carl, it’s got to be getting closer but is still a ways off.
I’m thinking a long block/complete 350, about 300 hp then bolt on lots
of new parts, water pump-alternator-etc. It will have a carb.
Between not driving it much and not being concerned with the cost of gas
I like the idea of the simplicity and being able to understand everything.

Then surely the 700r4 trans. I’ve put the rear end from a III into my car, so I’ll see how everything works with those 2.88’s.

In the mean time I’ll keep an eye on the want ads and let you all know what I find.
Unless there’s something really great.
In that case you won’t hear a peep about it Emoji

| Cadjag Carl Hutchins, Jr.
August 19 |

• | - |

Bob:

You read my mind. I had a choice at a recycle for a nice TPI from a Corvette and an LT1 from a 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. Same price 2500. Transmission and extra’s included. The idea of an alloy head still disturbed me.

It turned out just fine Lottsa of guidance. including you! A real adventure in to the unknown for me. The folks at Johns cars were immensely helpful Andrew at Jaguar -Specialties as well.

Suncoast as well for a perfect set of down pipes.

My major mistake was the after market harness, I’ll go no further here.
The engine I chose was tuned for torque. Exactly what the doctor ordered for the heavy XJ.

The surgery began in 2001. It passed the SMOG referee in 2006. Still in my garage. Ready to go. I not so much… years and covid…

As to the Optilite. That did concern me. Swapping them out in situ is no fun I got a new one., Son’s connections got a deal. The later vented model. As i read, the issue was not so much rain water, but coolant from a leaking seal on the water pump A misadventure on my part busted the WP drive!!!
I thought I was screwed. No, an electric WP from Mezzere (sp). fixed and water issuer gone.

Gary:
Get a kit and an engine and trans and PCM and get started

Carl

2.88s should be fine as the 700r4 has a low 1st gear. The only PITA with the 700r4 is the throttle pressure linkage and adjustment

I’m with Carl here. My first conversion involved a SB small block 400 out of a truck and the Turbo 400 trans. Fast but trans was all wrong. Then cam the magnificent looking long-runner TPI that I stroked to a 383 with the 700r4. Very nice but the beautifully polished long runners are less efficient than the later short runner motors.
Both current projects, 87 XJ6 and 92 XJSC use the same LS1 engine/trans combo, the former using what is actually designated as a 9C1 out of a Chevy Caprice police interceptor, and the latter out of a 94 Buick Roadmaster. Yes, you definitely need to keep an eye on the water pump to prevent it fouling the OptiSpark ignition, but that distributor produces an incredibly accurate spark.
I attached a picture of the XJSC installation that shows some of the relocations [radiator overflow becomes windshield washer reservoir; new overflow moved to passenger side of engine bay; power steering pump forward; air intake] I made to make things a little neater and more logical. If the California smog folks would have honored the deal they made back in the 90s with GM allowing removal of the chronically non-functional smog pump, the installation could be a good deal

nicer.

Richard,
Well do installation!

A beauty !!!

Typo ? Not an LS1, but clearly an LT1.

Same engine as in my car.

Has the torque to pull the 2.88’s in OD with no whimper.

Carl