Interesting Climate Control Discovery

This is not a new discussion but something different I just discovered on my 75 Series 2 USA LH drive.

Climate control for years not good. I thought I would tinker with the damper flapper rods on the passenger side. Studying at the controls mechanisms I saw a zink plated slotted screw pointed in the length of the car with the head towards the engine. it was backed out 3/16 to 1/2 inch. The screw had a slight tip to it. The screw is the fulcrum for two levers actuated by cams driven by the servo. Therefore the levers were not riding on the cams properly and were not adjusting the air flow flappers inside to mix hot and cold air to give dialed temperature control. The screw was impossible to screw in using a slotted screwdriver. I was able to position the screw level, find its threaded hole and turn it in with the hemostat. There is a internal star lock washer under the head of the screw. I tightened it the best I could. There is plenty of threads that protrude out the other side of the threaded bracketing hole to put a drop of thread lock to keep it from backing out again. I tried out the heater climate control and I can’t believe it works as it should !!! Bill

1 Like

As far as I recall, Bill, it is the link bolt adjuster - initially set midpoint…

However, the complete adjustment of the linkages are rather complex, but adjustments are seldom required. Never heard about the screw moving, but there is always a first time - or a PO machination…:slight_smile:

Incidentally, you can check if the settings are reasonably correct by verifying cabin temp with a thermometer, turn the AC to ‘Auto’ and slowly move the temp control. Then the temp control reaches the cabin temp the fan speeds will drop from high to low speed (or vice versa) - and the temp control should be at the measured cabin temp. The original AC amp could be adjusted for a better match, without touching the linkages, but within reason it is not a great matter - you just set the temp to the felt cabin temp you fell comfortable with…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Quite the contrary, the adjustment is fairly straightforward, and on my '83 made a world of difference! The flaps were clearly never fully closing. I have long recommended that everyone with the Delanair Mk II go through that link adjustment procedure.

1 Like

Did you fabricate the setting tool, Kirbert, or fabricate it?

Frank

Didn’t use any tools other than regular screwdrivers and the like.

I was referring to ‘the complete adjustment being rather complex’, Kirbert, fortunately seldom required - obvious faults is a different matter…:slight_smile:

Frank