Interesting stuff on EBAY

Interesting items advertised by
-9S head number engine number not been there or erased possibly been removed by welding???

how many people need chassis rebuild your old one or suffer the consequences

unusual head stamping number

and another

The first one has definitely been over welded. I can make out the upper edge of the weld bead above it, plus all those pores opened up from heating. I’ve seen it before. It looks to have been done quite a while ago though, odd.

$10.5?

I don’t think so.

The same -9S stamped C7707 C3 head was advertised on Ebay September 2014.

But hard to understand why the efforts to conceal the full number???

It’s the same West Yorkshire Foundry C7707 C3 head regardless of whether fitted to a block equipped with 7, 8 or 9:1cr pistons, so having an -9S stamping is totally irrelevant.

Could probably work out likely full engine number based on the Casting Sequence Number and the Head Sequence Number, and now having a reconciled list of all the -9S XK140MC engines, but little point.

Roger Payne

CANBERRA

Australia

rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au

1 Like

Roger, Do you know how many of the 9S XK 140 engines were made? The seller is claiming 74.

casting number on -9S head AW747

With only 74 cars built with a “sports purpose” 9:1 compression ratio this head is a unique find. It has all new bronze valve guides and valve seats installed and it has been resurfaced.
[/quote]

Bob,

After a LOT of work by a number of ‘expert researchers’, rather than second hand references, the reconciled totals are 84 XK140s had engines with 9:1cr pistons fitted as identified by having Engine Numbers with -9S or -9 suffix. This is not 100% totally reconciled, but is as accurate as factory records allow, as physically verified where engines still exist and have been inspected.

Similarly with XK120s, there have been 31 XK120s plus two spare engines (so 33 total) fitted with 9:1cr pistons, but most of these appear to have A-type Special Equipment heads fitted, as per -9S Engine Number stamping indicates, with the only way a very rare C-type head being able to be identified is by physical inspection. (With XK120 engine numbers the -S denotes Special Equipment, and NOT C-type head as is the case with XK140 engine numbers)

Roger

1 Like