Interior Color Change - Yea or Nay

My Oct1962 FHC originally came with Carmen Red with Black interior. As my interior needs to be completely replaced, I am considering changing the color to Biscuit. It is a valid color combination for that year, but not original to my car. What’s the opinion on changing color?

Some things I consider: the car will not be a concurs car, it’s a 3.8 with a synchro box, I may or may not A/C the car, it’ll get a SS exhaust, it’ll have a Mangoletsi AF, I’ll switch to neg ground, it’ll have an alternator. So while I plan to stay true to its roots, I will modernize some things as I plan to drive it frequently. My real reason for changing is the black looses some of the shadows and highlights one sees with a lighter color. Don’t beat me up too badly!

1 Like

It’s your car: Do EXACTLY as you like with it, and try not to cave to the purists’ outcries of outrage that you DARE do something other than how to car came.

PS: I like Biscuit interiors!! I actually like two-tone interiors.

1 Like

I changed my interior from black to red and the exterior from Carmen red to silver gray.
Love it. Wouldn’t change back
Question: is super car Blondie a real blonde and if she is not . what the H

1 Like

Change it ---- will look fantastic !

1 Like

Scot
I’m doing exactly that in my S1.5 FHC Red exterior with tired black interior being converted over to Biscuit. It’s much lighter and seemingly cooler. I find the Biscuit goes very well with the red. I’m much further along than when this photo was taken, but it shows the red/ biscuit combination.

Also I highly recommend OSJI in Muncie Indiana. The quality and customer support have been outstanding.

1 Like

Thank you All. I do like that biscuit! If you been reading my posts on this car, you’ll know that my interior was stolen except for the seat shells and I bought a worn out, but complete less door panels interior from an earlier Jag just to get all the pieces. So okay, decision made: Biscuit.

and Ive been looking at OSJI but we have a concurs restorer right here in Franklin, NC. The first thing on the interior I have to do is the headliner. I’ll add some sound insulation and then get the headliner done. What is the right color for that?

And one more thing that seems a little unusual on this car is my rear door striker. That part of the latch that is fixed to the door vs. the right side body, has 3 attaching screws with captured nuts inside the inner sheet metal. the manual and parts book show only 2 screws…as does the rear door I have from the earlier Jag. Has this been seen before? I’ll get a pic for you.

The items you mention aren’t exactly making the car into a resto mod, but I do have a caution based on recent experience. Any, and I mean nearly any, change will make people gun shy if you try to sell the car. No one wants to take the slightest chance when they buy classic cars, apparently especially Jaguars or cars that typically have production paperwork. A few things like the synchro box are universally accepted. Swap an engine and you’re dead if you try to sell it.
It isn’t the change, it’s the risk. An absolutely stock car is the safe play at purchase time. To me it’s strange that you can repaint a car, replace all the chrome and interior and people think that’s OK as long as it matches what some doctor ordered in 1966. The market speaks, however, and that is the reality.

Hell yeah.
My 65’ FHC is red on red so I got some biscuit seats to break up the fact that it looks like a slaughterhouse on the interior.

1 Like

2 Likes

Scot, a kit from OSJI will have all the panels you need. You won’t be recovering anything but the seats and rear boot boards. The “panels” in the rear that go around and under the rear windows, the rear hatch, under the rear hatch, door panels and door caps are all new. Your local restoration guy can install them, but don’t let them try to recover old pieces. They will all be warped and misshapen.
As far as value, while SOME might prize originality, most people want to buy a car they enjoy.( For proof in that you can look at all the people that are respraying their cars in gunmetal gray.) A red S1 FHC with biscuit interior is a sharp combination and you will have no problem finding a happy new owner when the time comes

I took my rear latch off the car and don’t recall how many screws/ bolts it had. I seem to recall more than two. I’ll look later

Nice! Did you find those 3.8 seats already covered or did you do that?

I found them. I originally had the later series 1 seats but I preferred the look of the bucket seats. Everybody and their mother on the internet will tell you that they are uncomfortable however they should shut their whistle ahaha.
They are plenty comfortable. But just to dispel doubt I asked my lady what she thought and with the lilt of her southern voice she said “soft as a satin saddle”

If ANYONE should have found them uncomfortable, it would have been me.

I found them perfectly acceptable.

1 Like

Scot, We have 888243 built in Feb. of 63 and the rear door has 3 attaching screws on the latch.

Hi, I have a Carmen Red/Black 66 FHC. Although original, if I had to do it again I would go with the Biscuit. Coupes are hot in the summer and Black only adds to the heat of summer driving.
Regards,
Allen

Wow lots of great comments and observations. thank you. The wife also likes the red/biscuit combo so we going to go with that. I appreciate the advice given on panels, etc. I plan to buy the interior, it is mostly a question as to who installs it. The old interior I bought is to get the hardware and also to possibly use pieces for templates if necessary. Plus I got the steering wheel/column, the entire rear door, brake stuff, seats with cushions, etc. Bunches of unidentified nuts and bolts. It’ll all help my project.

I’ll take those biscuits right now! :slight_smile:

So if the rear latch on the door has 3 bolts like my 887030 then the earlier Jag had only 2 bolts. I don’t recall that change being mentioned anywhere. Here are the pics of the two different latches. Tweety must have had 2 bolts on it.

I disagree with the generalizations. “No one wants to take the slightest chance”, “any change will make people gunshy”, “swap an engine and you’re dead” are all nonsequiturs. Yes, there are those for whom absolute originality is paramount but I submit they are in the minority. If you are talking about very well preserved original cars with provenance or high end restorations commanding top dollar, you have a point. But if you’re buying an E-type as an investment I submit your motivation is misguided. Owning an E-type is all about enjoying the experience of owning an E-type, or any other classic sportscar for that matter. Most important, by far, is not the almost unreadable number stamped into the oil filter plinth but how good the car is, how strong the mechanicals are, how structurally sound the body is, the fit and finish of the bodywork, the way it tosses you back into the seat when you stomp the accelerator, the way it brakes, the way it handles, the way it looks.

I’m taking a break from my XK120 OTS restoration because with the pandemic there’s no classic car activity happening, but after many years it’s almost done. It’s just a matter of assembly now. It’s a low mileage (20K), matching numbers SE with well documented provenance starting from the original owner. Yes, conventional wisdom might indicate keeping the colour scheme original would dictate the highest selling price but not if the original colour lacks appeal to the larger audience. The original colour of this car was, to my eye, hideous so I have changed it as was always my intention since acquiring the thing 29 years ago. I do care about the value of the car, but I value my enjoyment of it more. It has been restored to a very high standard and, when my kids get around to selling it, it will appeal to the discerning buyer who has not been bitten by the absolute originality bug.

4 Likes

…and there’s the real value of black. My '62 seats original as well, show no marks and clean up well. More robust than lighter colours. If seats don’t survive then it’s a different matter - pick your own interior colours! Paul.

1 Like

Here’s a reference point I’ve used when assertions are made that a colour change will reduce the value of an E-type. The car in the link below has no particular provenance though is matching numbers. It left the factory Primrose but was repainted black, before selling at auction for $467,500. I maintain the colour change increased its value.

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/automobiles-rm-auctions-in-association-with-sothebys-n09045/lot.138.html

Yep. good comments all. Mine will never be a concurs car and I’ve know that from the beginning. It is a very solid, rust free car sold first in Texas, then moved to Salt Lake City, then to Scottsdale, AZ. Much of it is original, but much is missing. I don’t even know if the engine will run! Or anything about the transmission. So I’ll make it look great, keep to the stock look, but add certain conveniences and drive it a lot. Like Nick said, my kids will get to benefit or enjoy it as they choose. (Actually one is building a lump out of a MKII. Maybe he’ll end up with it…same year as my E.)