Interior Water leaks 1986 xj6

Hi Folks so this week I decided to take my XJ6 to the car wash for the first time since I have had her, and as I am being washed water is leaking on my feet from the driver side also some water from the driver door area, now as far as the door it may just need new weather stripping but where could it be leaking from driver side pedal area

Your Windshield is leaking.
Any signs of rust ?
Better fix before it does more damage.

Those power wash racks can expose leaks that survive hand washing or even rain. Not a good place for a lot of elderly Jaguars…

Carl

Dieman,
There are two common causes (although there are others) of interior water leaks, perforated windshield channels and blocked plenum drain tubes.

The front windshield sits in a metal channel that unfortunately holds water. Over time this has caused rust to form in the window channels on many Series III XJ6s. If the rust gets bad enough and the windshield channel is not repaired, holes form in the metal and water leaks into the interior through the holes. Paint bubbles around the corners of your windshield are a sign of rusted channels. The visible bubbles are just “the tip of the iceberg” as the rust you can not see is much worse. The fix is to have the windshield removed, the metal repaired and painted, and the windshield reinstalled with new rubber seals and sealant.

There are two drain tubes that allow water to drain out of the air plenum in front of and beneath the windshield. There is a grill over the plenum that keeps debris out of the plenum but in areas with a lot of small particles in the air, the drain tubes can get blocked and not drain properly. The two large flaps that allow air into the car for the heater blower motors are located in the plenum. When water builds up inside the plenum it enters the interior through the heater blower motor flaps. The fix is to remove the air grill, remove any debris in the plenum, and check that water poured into the plenum drains out easily through the two “duckbill” drain tubes in the engine bay.

This subject comes up regularly and a search of the archives for “interior water leak” will turn up posts from others and how they fixed their leaks.

Please post back with what you find and how you resolve your issue.

Paul