Intermediate speed hold help

Apparently the solenoid will burn out if the hold circuit is not set correctly! the instructions in the manual but not in mine !can anyone tell me what service manual address’s this i read these are fitted to some Studebaker or should i just cross my fingers and hope it works right out the box as i did with the starter motor it works but it dont sound as manly as the one i took off!!

Can’t speak directly to the solenoid for the automatic but the one for the Laycock overdrive may be similar or even the same. On these there is a a pull in coil and a hold in coil. The pull in coil draws relatively high amperage and is only in operation momentarily after which internal circuitry shifts to the hold in coil that draws much less amperage. There are specific instructions in the WSM for the adjustment so that the shift between coils occurs properly. And as you state, if the adjustment is incorrect the unit will operate on the pull in coil continually and eventually burn itself out. The Jaguar and Studebaker automatics may have been similar but I think the electric intermediate speed hold was a Jaguar only feature. Any knowledgeable Studebaker followers out there?

thats the problem!! i have a service manual not a workshop manual I’ll get the wallet right on it dont you just love buying new tools Owning an old jag is participating in retail therapy in its purest form! thank you John look evan the suns come out

I’ve just looked through the ‘S’ service manual and cannot find any notes on the auto box that refer to the speed hold.
What I have is the information for the MOD see photos below;

Boy howdy!!! Works for old Rovers, old DKWs, old __________!!!

Here are the pages of the manual that describe the solenoid adjustment.

To see if your solenoid is working properly, connect 12V to it and measure the current. There should be a large pulse and then it should settle down to around 1 Amp.

Mike what publication are those pages in?

Those pages are in the “Jaguar Workshop Manual” for MKs 1 and 2 which was published in 1962 by Scientific Publications in Sydney, Australia. It has 75 pages on the automatic transmission alone, which is the reason I bought it. This is what it looks like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JAGUAR-MK1-MK2-2-4-3-4-3-8-LITRE-SALOON-INCL-AUTO-56-61-OWNERS-WORKSHOP-MANUAL/232707486473?hash=item362e727309:g:EPkAAOSwA3dYYj5~&vxp=mtr

Mike Eck

New Jersey, USA

www.jaguarclock.com

'51 XK120 OTS, '62 3.8 MK2 MOD, '72 SIII E-Type 2+2

I have the same book and it’s great. Bought because some other manuals are particularly poor at automatics. Mine was AUD$15.00 ON eBay. They do turn up infrequently - I am also happy to share pages. Paul

nice nice nice thanks for the help ! the part arrives next week I’ll keep you updated on our progress!

Thanks for the info Mike.