Intermittent misfire

How many miles on the car? How long have you owned the car?

You mention misfire. If you have a random misfire you should get a MIL light with a P300 code. That would be followed by a P030N code where N is the cylinder. Your problem does not appear to be a misfire.

Take a look at the Idle Issues Thread I created. A couple of other things:

1. Get a cheap stethoscope and listen to each of the fuel injectors as you rotate the throttle. You should hear a consistent clicking pattern on each cylinder. If you don’t, report back.
  2. Remove & clean the EGR Valve and EGR Sensor.
  3. Did you remove the throttle body to clean it? Look at the idle thread where I found damage to the bellows that goes on the throttle body.
  4. If that stepper motor is original - consider changing it. The SNG aftermarket one is good and inexpensive. My experience is it is impossible to test.
  5. When you turn the ignition key on (engine off) does the MIL light come on? i.e. is the bulb working?
  6. When you start the car does the secondary air system come on briefly?

Btw - if your car is a 3.0 that could be the problem. You’ve lost a cylinder. Most AJ16s are 4.0s…just Kidding. :grin:

PS. CPS only affects starting - Hmmm - Not my experience. But should not be your problem as it sounds like an idle issue.