Interpreting compression test results -- please help!

Can’t remember if it cranked quicker and the temp would have only dropped a small amount while the oil change was performed

Me too. I can recall people complaining about their cars not running right, and after a few questions, you realize that they drive like they are in a funeral procession. We would take the cars out ‘around the block’ so to speak and give them a chance to breathe. You would not believe how much crap came out the exhaust pipe(s). 400 plus cubic inches and never saw more than 2000 rpm’s. OH, here’s one that works: tap water drizzled down the carb so as not to kill the engine and watch the crap come out the back! On to throttle bodies: carb cleaner straight into the butterfly gets rid of the ‘stickies’. We must never tell anyone about these methods1

Gotta add this one: A fellow I knew had a junk yard and would try to start the engines in cars that came in that had not run for a long time. Some engines were locked up, and when a breakerbar on socket on the front crank won’t budge, you need something to break things loose. He said he tried everything out there; tranny fluid, kerosene, diesel fuel, you name it. Well, turns out distilled vinegar is the winner. Load up the cylinders and let it sit a while. Amazing stuff. Of course, an oil change comes next.

Ronald: I’ve read about that method several times, and it’s obvious that water (steam) does a fabulous job as a carb cleander, as can be seen in the case of a leaky head gasket, when coolant enters a cylinder.

When I got my V12, cylinders were all gunked up, and so I tried that out, but I couldn’t quite figure out how to do it on a Jag V12 with fuel injection. I sprayed water into the throttle body (butterfly valves), but that didn’t do anything. In the end I gave up and used conventional carb cleaner in the fuel, which also worked fine for the upper regions of the cylinders (incl. valves). Italian tune-up, maybe Anticarbon, and the oil change did the rest, so most of the dirt seems to be gone now. But I’m still wondering: How to water clean a V12 engine with fuel injection? Did you do that as well? Anybody has?

DOT4 brake fluid was commonly used as a valve and intake cleaner in the old days over here…could it harm to try? Just squirted directly into the carbs. Wouldn’t know how to do it in an injection car though…