Interview with Norman Dewis, XK120 chassis to body assembly

Great interview.

There is an interesting period video from assembly of the xk120OTS at the factory at 8:20.

Interestingly, it seems there is no radiator in place.

Tadek

you may find radiator is in place in the body because it very tight there to try and lower body over it?
this will be a later 120 with fully painted body shell

Right, the radiator was added afterwards, as were a number of other parts such as bumper support brackets and steering column.

I used to fly model aircraft fron Perton aerodrome when I was a boy in mid 60’s. It is now a housing estate .

I am told (and I verified from experience) that with an FHC the steering column needs to be inserted simultaneous to the body being lowered into position. My guess is that moments after the above factory photo was taken they began to position the steering column, putting it into place just prior to the body falling into final position.

On a XK 120, you would have to install the entire steering box and column as an assembly. They are not separable. The worm gear is part of the internal steering shaft. Perhaps in this photo the vehicle is RHD and the column is obscured by the engine and low camera angle?

No its definitely LHD, you can see the clutch and brake pedal arms and brake fluid reservoir.
I have removed/installed the steering column on my LHD FHC and it is an awful job to do alone. You really need 3 people, which of course that factory crew had. I think the guy that wrote the procedure in the manual never actually tried it, or did it on an OTS. I believe the OTS is easier, if perhaps only slightly.

i installed my steering column, box assembly on my RHD and agree with Rob, its a nightmare to do on your own. the other dreadful job is the flat bar that runs across the front which supports the bumpers. with the body on its almost impossible. but i did it with out cutting it in half!

fitting steering box on RHD car with body on is part chinese puzzle part brute force.I believe the steering column was fitted to body shell and strapped and as lowered over chassis itr was reeased