IRS Servicing Help

Need to move XJS sideways in small two car garage to remove IRS for servicing. Anyone use a set of these or similarthat actually allow one person to move an XJS V12 around?

Ive used similar units to move my ā€˜66ā€™ ā€™Sā€™ around and now the engine and gā€™box is siting on a pair.
Work OK if the floor is not too damaged.

Thank Robin. Think I am going to go for it. Most reviews on these were positive but the negative ones were absolutely scathing.

If the wheels on these units are caster wheels,position the wheels in the direction you want to move the car before lowering the weight of the car onto them.

I have that set. They proved very useful for years. However I didnā€™t realize what a PITA it was to jack the car up to use them, or how poorly the small casters performed on my less than perfect barn floor, until I got the Harbor Freight Daytona wheel jacks. Yes, $439 is a ton of money for four plus they take up the space of a dorm fridge, but I can now pack more cars into the barn with the cars sideways.

1 Like

They are. Thanks for the tip Dave. Hadnā€™t considered that it may be hard to turn 16 of these buggers at the same time.

Thanks John. Self jacking is nice. Maybe when I get my dream garage. As it is had to sell my MG Midget and two motorcycles to get enough room to work an the XJS.

Iā€™ve got about 5 sets of four of these dollies. These do work once pack the ball bearings with ample amount of grease. Then they work great on smooth concrete, and on a less than smooth surface the dollies work once you get them pointed in the right direction. The 1500 lbs rating is on the pair, which equates to 750 per dolly which in total is less than an XJ saloon or ā€œSā€ weights.

My vast experience with these dollies.

• Iā€™ve used these for years, one pair for over a decade. as mentioned above greasing the bearings makes a huge difference especially when it comes to getting the wheels to change directions.
  • The dollies work great on perfectly smooth surface like a garage floor. Sometimes a rock, nut, expansion joint will trip the dollies up; and depending on the velocity of the vehicle and the direction of the wheel (expecially the front wheels) a rock, nut, expansion joint can cause the dolly to stop, and wheel to rotate causing the dolly to get lodged between the wing and the tire. this is not good. I encountered this once while moving an XJ-S from one storage unit to another. Granted I was towing it behind my lawn tractor and the car was moving at a pretty good clip, both of the wheels hit an expansion joint at the same time causing the front wheel to rotate, and the dolly to get lodgedā€¦ This probably wasnā€™t one of my well thought out moments. Anywayā€¦
  • What doesnā€™t work well
    My drive way is aggregate finished. The dollies do work, but getting them moving, like my kids, can prove to be some what of a challenge. I put a dent in the rear wing above the rear wheel on my XJ6 with my ass trying to get the damn thing to move. Again not one of my finer moments.
  • Dirt, or gravel - forget about it. theyā€™ll just sink.
  • Considerations. the steel alone is worth the price of the dollies. Iā€™ve been looking at more heavy duty wheels that may work better and increase the capacity so these will roll easier on irregular surfaces.

For the price itā€™s a sore dick deal - you canā€™t beat it.

check out my YouTube channel - Jag Mods.
Side note
For those who frequent this forum and are getting sick of my shameless plugs / promotion of my YouTube channel, Iā€™m sorry. Iā€™m trying to turn it into a part time gig so I can actually get a car finished.
I started this channel, because I couldnā€™t find videos that went through the whole process a step by step. DaveJaguar66 is probably the closest, but I was looking for something with a bit more detail; because Iā€™m weird that way. Jag Mods is better than anything currently out there currently. I started Jag Mods because, other than this forum, I wasnā€™t able to find any help. So Iā€™ve taken it upon myself to provide help to those new to Jaguars and are as flummoxed as I was in the beginning; and havenā€™t discovered this forum.

Back on track with my shameless plug
Iā€™m completely going through IRS. This one isnā€™t for an XJ-S which has a variation of Dana 44 differential - the IRS Iā€™m working on is from a Saloon, which is a Salisbury. There are some distinct differences between the two diffs but the overall maintenance is the same. except changing the Diff fluids. I havenā€™t addressed this yet on my channel.

Iā€™ve almost got the IRS completed and will be installing it in one of my XJ Saloons - I havenā€™t decided yet. That will be of some help when it comes to removing yours. Thereā€™s a good number of posts on this forum that cover IRS servicing. Keep in mind other than the Salisbury diff the Series 1 - 3 XJ Saloons as well as the XJ-Sā€™s share nearly the same components.

Hope this helps
Mark

1 Like

keep in mind this is for 1 dolly; which makes these a bit pricy for the cheap bastards like me.

Thanks. Have a nice flat floor. Will sweep up all the dirt, grit, and miscellaneous bits. Wheels to get a lot of grease.

1 Like

Glad I waited on getting the cheapies. On sale till the end of April with this coupon.

I posted an new video on my Jag mods channel Part 3 the final in the 3 part series of measuring shims and spacers for pre installation. Iā€™ve found a couple mistakes that Iā€™ll fix in the next video.