Is it an overheat of the MKV engine?

I drove my MKV today for 30 minutes and for 35km without stopping. After the drive I stopped the engine. After the parking of 5 minutes I tried then to start the engine, in fail. There was entirely no reaction from the starter motor at that time. (After 15 minutes I tried then to start the engine successflully.) Was the cause of this symptom possibly an overheat of the engine although the container of cooling water was full and the air temperature was 20 degrees Celsius ?

Please describe further about ā€œentirely no reaction from starterā€. Does this mean the starter motor remained completely off? Or perhaps starter turned over normally but no engine spark occurred?

Iā€™m sorry, but I have to correct my Explanation. Namely when I pushed the ignition button unsuccessfully, there was only an hissing sound without the normal sound of the starter motor. On the other Hand, there was only silence immediately before the starter motor began working when I pushed the ignition button 15 minutes afterwards successfully.

Thnak you for the interest in my comment. I have to correct my first explanation on this topic.
Namely there was a hissing sound when I pushed the ignition button unsuccessfully. I donā€™t know if the sound came from the starter motor or not.

Just throwing it out there, is the battery up to charge? I wonder if the ā€˜hissingā€™ you heard was the starter spinning but without sufficient speed to throw the bendix gear into mesh with the ring gear?

Thank you for the comment. I examine at the next drive if there occurs the same symptom.

If the starter spins but does not engage the gear on the flywheel, you may hear a hiss sound from the spinning starter motor or you may hear a hiss sound from the gear spinning against the flywheel without pushing into engagement. When a starter spins without full engagement, one source of the problem can be too much friction on the shaft where the gear moves. A spray of light lubricant oil, such as WD-40, where the inside of the gear slides along the shaft can clear up that problem. If the WD-40 works, that problem may go away for years with no further concern. A weak battery will make this same problem occur as well, There are other potential sources of this problem, but looking at easy steps first helps eliminate the more common sources.

I would start with checking battery condition. When convinced battery is good, then next step with WD-40 with starter on car. Spray 10 seconds of WD-40 into the gear and shaft area. Only consider taking starter out after these simple steps donā€™t solve the problem.

2 Likes