Is it me or has everything gone mad

But how many more ‘better than ever’ etypes will there be?
I just don’t get the point

But then again I’m just getting more and more old and grumpy

RIP HRH Prince Philip

2 Likes

If interest in modifying E-types is increasing, then I think that this is actually a good sign, not a bad one. It means that interest in the E-type itself remains alive and may even be growing.

Not many are interested in modifying and updating horse carriages because general interest in them is near zero. I would not want the E-type to become the equivalent of a 21st century chariot.

If these people were taking 9600HP or 77RW and chopping them up, then that would be outrageous to me. But really, these cars are not sacrosanct objects - they were popular cars, a supercar for the masses. I am not in the camp that these are relics so precious that they must be preserved in original form at all costs.

There are enough cars in original shape and enough people interested in keeping them so. There’s no risk that someone 20 years from now will never get to know the E-type as it was originally made. (barring the banning of hydrocarbon fuels or a worldwide apocalypse.)

Dave

2 Likes

These are screen caps from the brochure.

The interior reminds me of the lining of the small intestine (I am a doctor). Or something from the movie “Spaceballs”.

After 3800 hours they still don’t have the headlight surrounds fitting and the modified bumper is badly welded (both sides look as bad).

And the panel gaps are not very well done.

“Are you stupidly rich? Let us “value add” to your classic while charging you an obscene amount for the privilege!”

The costs are such that I can’t see how they add to etype interest. They become objects for the rich which are hidden away.
But I appreciate your point of view.

With best regards
Philip Dobson

It is a mad mad world , see they are building a new DB5 Gold Finger , at 2.75 million
Note to Editors:
*Please note, this car is not road legal. The fitment of gadgets is subject to final engineering confirmation and country-specific legislation.
:scream:
Aston Martin DB5 production resumes after 55 years as build work begins on DB5 Goldfinger Continuation cars at Aston Martin Works – Aston Martin | Pressroom

Actually I’m looking at it from the opposite direction. It isn’t that these tarted-up specials will increase interest in the E-type - instead increased interest is prompting companies to jump in and try their hand at modifying them.

If those companies or individuals had no interest in the E-type (or didn’t think there was any) they wouldn’t try to create these modified cars. Just like a lack of interest in chariots precludes someone from releasing “Ben-Hur’s Colosseum ride reimagined.”

Dave

2 Likes

What galls me, oddly enough, is the lateral pleats in the seats: I find that visually jarring.

Looks like factory gaps, to me…:wink:

2 Likes

Thank you. Count me in that group: they aint Bugatti Royales.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

Reminds me of a quote describing Ticketmaster. “A business whose customers are a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant”.

1 Like

A small market with plenty of $$. Thats their target market and they will probably succeed.

The interior is hideous.

is that the “organic” design school of art?

Anyone with deep pockets can build or buy whatever they choose, $3m Bugatti anyone? Keeping them original is difficult, sometimes painful and obviously takes decades of keepers who worked hard and spent their money, time and care to keep them that way. No amount of deep pockets can replace that. MHO. Here’s a Bugatti video of the craziness when money is no object. How Much Does It Really Cost To Own A Bugatti!? - YouTube
pauls

1 Like

Insane! I don’t have near that many first world problems.

Hideous … their money their car their choice… can’t see it winning the concour d’elegance any time soon … not even the people’s choice!

All that money, all that fuss… and it’s still hideous to look at.

Look at what they get for a reproduced Cobra. Once the mold is made the body is cheap. I can see an accurately reproduced Etype with an electric motor for the price of a new base Vette or Porsche. By accurately I’m not talking about what they call an MGTD reproduction. There are already companies in Europe that sell drop in EV conversions for popular front-wheel drives for about $7000 so the cost of the drive train isn’t that much.

And that 50s-vintage looking American cigar lighter?

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

I can help with that…:wink:

All it lacks is a diamond in the back and a sunroof top.

2 Likes

Digging the scene with a gangster lean, a car fit for a pimp. Don’t forget the sheep skin seat cover and velvet head liner :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: