Is it ok to drive without a power steering belt 1970 E-Type

I only ask just in case my work fails this afternoon. Something on the front of the engine started growling intermittently and I can feel vibrations in the steering wheel when it growls. First I am changing the belt because it shows signs of slipping and there is no adjustment left but I fear it is the pump. I store the car a few miles from home and don’t want to keep running the pump if that is what is wrong with it. So the question is can I drive it 20 miles without the belt on the pump or will this cause mechanical problems?

1 Like

With the belt off I don’t believe you will creating problems for the pump, BUT power and non- power steering racks are typically very different. So it won’t be like driving a regular non-power car, and you may find it takes extraordinary effort to steer. So much so your ability to control the car becomes a hazard, particularly at slow speed. I urge caution. You don’t want to come to a corner to find you can’t make the turn…

With that said, it may work. Good luck

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I want to hear. My drive to storage is mostly highway and I will find out quickly how heavy the steering is without the power assist. Hopefully, it’s just the belt, and I have the right one. I will find out very soon.