Is the XJ the cool, affordable vintage car?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-12/driving-a-vintage-jaguar-xj-history-style-and-the-latest-specs?fbclid=IwAR3vEtK3DAGbAtrryetkGjWCzInNcft92fwVDn_lQjrBAl4wZ1hYaqPSojY

4 Likes

One word: yes!

Cheers!

3 Likes

affordable is very subjective, as is driving with the prince of darkness as your co-pilot :wink:

1 Like

It’s a very negative article isn’t it. A well sorted XJ is dependable.

3 Likes

I’m particularly fond of the Series III cars, which I describe as “the most modern of all antique automobiles” :slight_smile: . They’re built like a tank and drive like velvet.

Cheers
DD

4 Likes

I think it’s a bit like the Top Gear XJS episode or the Finnish tests originally on the XJ6, 1969 and again in 1979, they found concerns and problems but they also found almost unspeakable joy in driving one.

Like one of my friends said about a fellow driving a Toyota that never had any mechanical or electric problems: ”Oh yeah, but where’s the fun in that?”

:laughing:

Cheers!

Ps. And I have driven over 60,000kms with a 1975 XJ6C and the only problems have been:

2008 failed head gasket → complete engine rebuild
2011 overdrive failed → rebuilt, went ballistic-> gearbox rebuilt
2022 fan threw a blade

And rust, obviously, a constant battle that rages on.

2 Likes

I‘m in Austria now and was in Switzerland last week, a few drips of oil (that are mostly my fault as far as I see it) and a slightly blocked tank vent are the only issues I have. I trust the car. Zero electrical issues, the later series cars do have their problems but all of that is both age related and fixable, leaves you with a cool, affordable and good vintage car.

Apart from things I caused by neglect or stupidity it actually, also given its age, has a great track record so far! Do you have a link to the finnish tests?

2 Likes

“Affordable:” an ENTIRE thread there, boy!

:grin:

2 Likes

I’m more and more tempted to get another Series III (XJ12 would be nice) that’s not as nice as my current one to use as a daily driver. But I’d probably need to sell something first to make room. As much fun as the XJS is, an XJ6/12 is just easier to drive (and get in and out of).

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve done trips over 4000km in mine, with multiple occupants. Doesn’t let me down. Neither do the others for that matter.

2 Likes

Hi,

No links, I don’t think they have ever been digitized or translated, the 1970 test should be copyright free, but how many here can read Finnish? :laughing:

Cheers!

Ps.But for fun, I will look them up. :+1:

1 Like

Translate it I can! Cheers!

1 Like

Answering again: it is!

Did a small weekend trip, got back in the city, man it makes one feel good! :smiley:

Cheers!

2 Likes

So, is that it? All tucked away for the winter?

Hi,

Not necessarily, but it was the first time since April that I got the coupé washed! Last time was in Germany after our trip to the Alps.

If there’s going to be good weather, why not! But it’s bettter to be prepared, we can get snow in October. YMMV.

Cheers!

1 Like

Yes, I only paid $2500 for my somewhat rusty 1985. I’m about 5 years, 20,000 miles and $10,000 later and I think it’s reasonably well sorted at this point. Only had to have it towed once for a grenaded diff, plus two roadside hose repairs before I replaced them all. Lately It’s been pretty darn reliable though!

2 Likes

I took mine to the Netherlands (1800 km) and the only issue was a worn alternator brush. I bent the tabs a little to get me home. Everything else works perfectly and was never restored, just new pistons which is why it sat for decades.

And it was cool.

My S3 was tired but it also got me home, the fuse boxes are their major issue.

5 Likes

Hi,

I only drove to my cousin’s funeral on Saturday, and to the airport & back so a couple of 100’s kms but it was raining and dark, cold and damp. No problem, very comfortable ride.

Cheers!

3 Likes

That’s a very handsome Jag.

1 Like

One of the coolest Vintage Cars indeed! I love looking at mine and I am not giving up on it either.

I can’t speak to its dependability as I am sorting mine out. I had ALL of the problems one can imagine. I mean heck I had to get a whole replacement car to get it running again (turned out to be a very good choice btw…)

I do hope once I have it sorted out it will be dependable and good enough that I can take it anywhere without worrying about a break down. But I know I will have a trunk full of tools for the foreseeable future. I do plan on driving it all year around.

3 Likes