Is there an XJ-S in China?

Not so far.

On many visits to China never seen an XJ-S. Now and again seen other more recent Jags, but Jags well and truly outnumbered by Mercs, Audis and BMWs which are quite common.

The point being, this might change. Going back 25 years I helped a Chinese employee move back to China and start a business importing some of our products. Since then he has built up a large business and now is listed on the Shanghai stock exchange. Our direct business with him is now a very small item, but he is a good friend and bought my business to fund my retirement, although I still run the show.

He has long admired my 1989 XJ-S convertible. His own vehicles include a top of the range Merc and a BMW SUV. At one time he had a rush of blood to the head ( or his wife did ) and he bought her a Boxter. I actually drove it back to his home one night, like driving a brick on wheels. That was traded in for another Merc soon after.

Up to very recently the Chines authorities would not allow importation of secondhand cars over a few years old. My friend says there are now ways of getting around this restriction, and he wants me to buy him a convertible like mine and have it shipped over.
Yeah, right – so easy – not.
We drive on the left, China drives on the right. Meaning I need to buy him a car in the States.
That is only the second problem. The first problem is seeing if he has a competent mechanic in his home town to fix anything that goes wrong. No problem buying spares on line, but you gotta know what to buy, and why, and then make sure it is the right fix.

I will be going to his home town in July, which is Xiamen on the coast opposite Taiwan. This is one of the very few Chines cities which would be pleasant to live in, very little heavy industry, negligible pollution, moderate population, and quite prosperous.
Xiamen does have a Jaguar dealer, although I think it is more a sub agent of a main dealer in Guanzhou. He does park a new Jag in front of one of the main hotels to show off the brand. My friend has considered buying a Jaguar F Type, but has not bitten the bullet up to now. Money is not his problem, making a decision is his problem.

In the meantime he is keen on the XJ-S convertible. There can be no doubt it would attract attention anywhere in China, and that would add considerable “face” which generates kudos in spades.
Lots of pluses, but we have to see the practicality of it all. If I can help him find a suitable mechanic and workshop, and a place to store his XJ-S when not being used, we are over the first hurdle.

The second hurdle is buying the car in the States. He is keen on a V12 for prestige, but I think he is best off buying a late facelift and they mostly have 6 cylinder engines, V12s are relatively rare. My gut feeling is to buy a six, pay for a really good example from a state with no icy roads in winter. However, if a really good V12 turned up it would be worth thinking about. V12s are not more difficult to maintain, but they do need more time and effort and money. If needed take the car to a reputable workshop for fixing anything below par before shipping.

In early September will be back from China and holiday in U/K. Then if all goes to plan it will be time to do serious research on cars available in the U.S.A. I can easily plan a combination business and holiday trip to check out likely prospects.

Since “money is not his problem”, why don’t you buy him TWO XJ-Ss? That way he will have a full set of spare parts and also something for his mechanic to go by.

Since money is not your friend’s problem but finding a competent mechanic and because some parts may be impossible to find, buy an XJS and have it converted to a new GM V8 engine and transmission. That will solve most of the parts location and reliability problems and should solve the issue of finding a Chinese mechanic who will know how to service it. John’s Cars in Texas sells the conversion kits and also could advise you as to where to have the car transformed. After that, a new interior, convertible top and paint would make the car look sharp. All of this could be done before it was shipped. Once finished, I doubt if anyone looking at it in China would understand enough about the car know that it has been converted.

There’s a place in CT called Motorcars Inc (not to be confused with Motorcars LTD of TX) that may be able to help. They always have a few late model XJS convertibles in stock with low mileage. I’ve never bought from them because they’re expensive, but I doubt your Chinese buyer is going for the high mile bargains I seek! They sell E-Types too so they should be familiar with export import.

Good luck, John

Here’s another idea. See what it would take for KWE Engineering to source one on the continent and go through the whole thing. Not cheap but the lowest risk.

Thanks for feedback,
Ideas are welcome.
The idea to buy two cars has already crossed my mind.
The second need only be mechanically good enough to drive for providing spares and comparison with the first.

The V8 changeover kit I did not know about. I had thought about suggesting my friend could find an XK to his liking, but although they are a neat looking machine and a credit to Jaguar styling, they do not have quite the “standout” appeal of the XJ-S. You never know, he may want to have an XK too. I reckon there will already be late model XK or XKRs in China, Jaguar has been selling there for at least 10 years and perhaps longer.
The V8 kit idea is an interesting one to think about.

First things first is to sort out the mechanic in Xiamen. Later in the year start searching in earnest for the right car, or two right cars. Meanwhile must keep an eye on that volatile Shanghai stock exchange. It dropped 5% in recent weeks but even so I think my friend is still well heeled and not joining the soup queues any time soon. I have to say the price/earnings ratios on Chinese stock exchanges is a very large eye watering number.

When in China two years ago my Google email account was blocked. That may have changed, and I will check if sites such as Ebay and Craigs List are blocked. If not that helps me point out cars and prices for my friend to think about before I get serious.

Hi Richard:
PRC (mainland) blocks Google. You cannot access anything on their servers unless you setup a VPN. Hong Kong and Taiwan are OK.

Also, the prices of 6.0L V12 convertibles in the US are spiking.

This car sold on eBay, desfpitethe apparent need for an engine overhaul for over $10K.

Steve

Looks like there may never be an XJ-S in China.
Although you can never be sure, I have seen some odd cars in China.
My friend did not do his homework, since there does exist a website detailing restrictions on importing cars into China.
There is a blanket ban on importing any car over 20 years old, so in 2017 that excludes any XJ-S.

There is no doubt China is up there with the best practitioners of infuriating bureaucracy, but in spite of that they can get things done with eye watering speed when needed. I am sure my friend has contacts in his home town that could pull strings and find a reason why in an isolated case the 20 year ban could be negotiated into oblivion for a reasonable fee.

He is not too keen to try his luck. On our way to UK we will drop in and spend 5 days helping him with his bad western habits I helped him acquire, such as the delights of fine French champagne, exquisite blue vein cheeses, tender eye fillet steaks imported from Oz and sundry other delicacies.
If you can’t beat them, corrupt them into liking the taste of what only you can make or provide, especially at the more expensive end of the spectrum. You can never make cheaper steel.

Of serious concern is my friend’s thoughts on being deprived of an XJ-S convertible. He has been visiting the local Rolls Royce showroom and talking to them about an RR convertible. Enough to make you weep, not only for the vast amount of currency involved but modern RRs are not the elegant looking cars of previous times. There must be better looking convertibles available in China, and the whole exercise is a matter of driving around in something that looks good.
My turn to do homework and see what is a better alternative for both wallet and appearance. He can buy modern Jaguar convertibles although so far that idea has not taken root. Time for uncle Richard to educate him on the aesthetics of car design and appearance.

I did see one in HKK last year. a bit of a rarity to see hence my memory of it.

If you’re contemplating Rolls-Royce level money, then my preference would be a Bentley convertible - much better styling IMHO.

Never been to Nanchang, but no surprise to see somebody was passionate enough to pull a few strings.
There is no way it could have been legally registered for street use without making sure a lot of people turned a blind eye.
Interesting to see if it is still being driven. It would be a bit of a challenge to fix if something obscure went wrong.
Good luck to the guy.

I sent a copy to my friend in China. I hope it makes him madly jealous !

Google search of Nanchang Jaguar turned up the info about Nanchang XJ-S.
Also turned up this snippet:

Jaguar Land Rover may set Chinese plant at Nanchang

Source:Global Times Published: 2010-6-8 15:58:27

Jaguar Land Rover is likely to build its new assembling plant in Nanchang, Jiangxi Province in China, according to Shanghai Securities News, citing a person close to the deal.

“The local government is offering (the automaker) very favorable terms,” said the source.

According to Jaguar China’s PR (public relations) person, timetable for the new plant’s construction has not been defined as for the moment…

A coincidence perhaps ?