Is there some kind of lubricant for the seat belt and mech. all together?

Is there some kind of lubricant for the seat belt and mech. all together???

Walter

There is several spray lubes
Some called Dry lube or belt lube.
Think you can get them in a autoparts store

Walt,

as you’re typically wearing your seat belt over your clothes you wouldn’t lube the belt with 20W-50 …

To the contrary I’d probably start with unwinding the belt, fixing it with some sort of clamp and cleaning the belt with warm water and mild detergent, maybe soap. Chances are that the belt has become sticky from dirt accumulated over time. If not, cleaning it won’t hurt either.

With the belt pulled out you might try to flood the “container” part with WD40 or something similar avoiding to get the liquid on the belt fabric. If you get acces you might even clean the reel mechanism. My guess would be though that only the inner reel mechanism with the spring and the lock-up device contains some form of grease, but is closed toward outside - in fact I’d be surprised if you could open it without destructive effect …

Good luck and keep us posted

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

thanks Jochen

danke Walter

I had good luck with silicone spray lube onto the surfaces the belt itself runs on. Sparingly and not all over, of course. Some light oil into the mechanism sounds good, and cleaning with mild detergent is a good idea. Make sure the oil doesn’t contaminate the belt, it will attract dirt and ruin everything it touches… dry lube or some silicone, not as much.

David

1 Like

Warm water, detergent and alcohol. Soak for half an hour, rince and dry.
Works very well and made a huge difference on how the belt retracts, on both my cars.
If there is a problem with the mechanism though it can’t be done from the outside.