Is this a Jaguar part?

A while back I ended up getting some boxes of old NOS parts supposedly leftover from Jags and Studebakers.
I don’t recognize some of these parts, for example this steel plate, having a slot milled in one side, the two larger holes are threaded.
Can anyone identify this…

I also don’t know if the now detached tag, having number 3993, belongs to this piece or not. I tried entering the number in an online jag catalog, but none of the results looked like this piece.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Looks like a worm-and-sector steering box top…??

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking. I don’t have a great photo of one at hand, but I cropped these out of the corners of larger shots.

Interestingly enough, there is no typical part number in the XK120 parts list for it.

I believe that part number C3993 is either the timing chain adjuster tool or the camshaft indexing tool, so not this plate.

Hey thanks guys,
If the plate seems to be a steering box cover for a XK120, that is close enough for me, I don’t even have a 120.

Here are two more ancient pieces from the box, they look like they would fit on a torsion bar, but does anyone know which vehicle it would fit. It doesn’t look like it would fit a 140, the only type of Jag I am mostly familiar with.

Thanks again.

Yes, top cover for a Burman steering box, LHD XK120, RHD Mark V, also Mark VII, VIII, IX and Mark 1, but I am less familiar which side drive on those. The fill plug is uphill from the free-play adjuster. LHD Mark V also has a countersunk hole for a flat head screw for clearance to the generator. Burman’s part numbers are used.

The other parts look like steering knuckles, but not for Mark V nor XK120, as you can see in this picture, so possibly Mark 1?

Too stout for fog lights, too short for shocks or steering, looks like 2 rights or lefts. Perhaps anti-roll bar ends, but not Jag XK.

After a little wire wheeling, the knuckle type pieces have this cast into them:

S-9-54 a circle and 2 on one side

The letter M on the other side

And yes, both of these pieces have the same shape.

Torsion bar links, perhaps?

About what is the inside diameter of the female splines?

Rob notes that the steering part numbers in the XK120 parts book are Burman numbers. These seem to be similar. Another Burman steering part for something not an XK?

Mike,
The inside diameter of the splines (that is, from the tip of one spline to the tip of the diametral opposite spline) is close to .985”.
The outside diameter is close to 1.075”.
There are 36 splines.
Thanks everyone for helping.

The unexpected feature of these pieces ( to me anyway) is that whatever load is carried by the arm portion, must be be transmitted through some sort of rubber bushings that would be received by the socket shapes formed into the end of the arm.

Possibly manufactured Sept 1954 9-54

The MK VII Spare Parts Catalogue, 2nd Edition, J.21, July 1957 lists the Steering Box top cover as part no. 3993. It also details the associated Burman part no S.12/18. This is not the same as either of the two covers listed in the XK120 Parts Book; Burman parts S.12/8 (LHD) & S.12/9 (RHD).

The MK VII parts book makes no distinction between RHD & LHD covers; just the one part, so presumably the same for each. Suggests that the MK VII and XK 120 covers are not interchangeable; possibly the milling on the underside is different?

Simon

Simon and everyone else, thanks for helping.
Now I can tie the yellow tag back on the cover, the 3993 evidently being the correct Jag part number.
Interesting that the MkVII cover would differ somehow from the 120 cover.

3993 (and you could add the Burman part number S.12/18) is also for Mark VIII, although not Mark IX nor Mark 1.
It looks to me like the curvature of the rocker shaft side is a little different from XK120 and Mark V.

Rob, thanks for reminding me to record the Burman number too. Perhaps the steering box covers may be wear items, intended to be replaced when worn?

Anyhow, here is the next item which I cannot identify, from the old box.

This tube with a flared end looks pretty Jaguarish, and I am thinking that I have seen one of these before, it seems as if it might be associated with the intake tract of some kind of Jaguar…can anyone identify this item?

And, purely for interest sake…take a look at these old Nash intake valves…they are identified a such by the NASH INTAKE lettering sticking up from the surface of the valve head.

Maybe the lettering is supposed to be some sort of futuristic turbulence generator, intended to generate turbulence in the flow of intake gasses entering the combustion chamber ?
Anyone have a Nash ?

The stud with short tube is for an air filter assembly, maybe for the Nash the valves go to!

The bottom is a flared end, and many older Murkin carbs had a corresponding flared top, which used a flare clamp to attach the filter with.

In the early years of motoring, branding was everything. Look at a Model T and you’ll see the Ford script on just about everything.

I’d imagine Nash marked their valves to encourage the use of genuine parts, and as a dead-nuts easy way to verify claims of failure of their parts vs cheap replacement parts.

1 Like