Is this correct? Series 2 with Series 3 grill?

Thought that I had seen most everything…Did any Series 2s have Series 3 grill?

Jeff S.

Hi Jeff,
Definitely there were some very late production cars that had the S3 grille chrome surrounds, but I’m not aware of any having the grille. The cars I’ve seen, that were clearly original, had the S3 grille surrounds and the typical S2 Motif Bar.

Brent

1 Like

That is my understanding, also.

Hi,

I agree, it must be a PO modification (the grille) but the other details like the chrome surround and the leaper badges on the sides of the bonnet would be correct for a late 1970 (production) car registered as a “1971 model year” Series 2 E-type.

Cheers!

1 Like

Nice dry car (maybe) with 7500 miles for $59k?
Seems like a deal not having to deal with the tin worm. Everything rubber of course but still…

It says the odometer has rolled over so who know how many miles. It is also a “restored” title which means it was a salvage title and someone paid $50 to Az dmv for a “level 3” inspection which is their “highest level.”

It appears that this car could well be 2R28761: XKE Data - 2R28761 - Jaguar E-Type (XKE) information, articles, photos and register. The eggcrate grill is there in the photos from 2010 - in Nevada at the time.

1 Like

Arizona MVD confirms that is the car.

Arizona no longer issues paper titles - it is all stored on-line (can’t say I like that much, I prefer a fancy paper title I can hold and file).

An upshot of this is that anyone can look at the title online. Here is the title for the subject car:

1 Like

So what does " title has brands" mean George?
Rolled over odo or something more sinister?

7500 miles? Guess I was looking for unicorns???

I emailed the guy and he stated “it was in a minor accident 10 years ago I have pictures of the damage and the repairs to the right rear corner. Today you cannot tell where it was repaired.”

He also confirmed it is indeed a salvage title.

The paper titles have a 3 choices for the odo - ‘actual’, ‘exceeds mechanical limits (e.g. 6 digits)’ and ‘not actual mileage’. The result displays on the title so those would not cause brands.

Likely the salvage status is behind the brand. What is unclear is why the title says ‘not eligible to transfer due to outstanding conditions’.

1 Like

The opening on the bonnet for the SII and SIII are the same size and shape thus the grille will fit either. The chrome surround was factory added as a “1971” distinction for N.A. markets and is indeed the same as for the early SIII. Later SIII changed how the chrome was attached. The badge on the side of the bonnet and the 2R. designation were also a “1971” distinction. There were no 2+2 models made with the 2R. designation.

1 Like

Yes, branded = salvage title. I too do not know why it is not eligible to transfer, I assume that is solvable with a discussion with the DMV, which of course brings its own joy.

Salvage titles are typically given when the cost to repair exceeds the value of the car. Maybe the car was grossly under insured, it seems odd that an accident 10 years ago, that was minor, would cause a salvage title situation.

This seems like it could be a cool car, and I wouldn’t necessarily run away from it because of the salvage title, but the reality is that a salvage title is a forever hit on the value of almost any car.

Don’t know your rules in the states but maybe it didn’t pass a safety inspection ?

Cheers Jim

Research suggests that it may be because there are liens on it. From azdot web site:
“For example, if a vehicle owner owes child support fees (Child Support lien) or court fines/fees (Operation of Law lien), a lien can be placed on the vehicle record that prevents the title from being transferred to a new owner until those fines/fees are paid. These liens must be paid before you can transfer the title into your name.”