Is this the correct console for the car, and why black?

Hi again,

Is my center console correct for a Series 1 4.2L built in mid 1965? I’ve looked at a lot of pics, and I am not sure if this one came with this car.

Also, it’s trimmed in black, but the rest of the interior is biscuit, and I haven’t seen that before on any E-Types. I think it would look better all biscuit.

The certificate from JDHT shows the car came with an interior trim color of light tan and a soft top color of black.

Also the gap from the bottom of the gauge panel and the top of the stereo panel looks a little large. I am thinking they just screwed in the console lower to make room for the flip down?

Thanks,

Phil

I am a series 3 guy, but I would say at one point, console was covered, or recovered with black leather. I did same with mine, which was originally plastic. I think it looks great, plus, because its black, it wont show the dirt that most light color interiors inevitably show. Very handsome !

Looks good, but should there be an ashtray above the radio?
Rob Herrick
1965 SD1 OTS

I do not know what the right color should be. I just looked at the JCNA and it mentioned top and arm rest is leather with vinyl sides…but no mention what color it is suppose to be.

I personally think that it looks more elegant in tan rather than black.

abe

Interesting, thanks Rob and Abe!

Is that black piping original? It looks good. Just curious.

Also interesting that the window pillars are in black. Mine are in black too, but a lot of E-Types I have seen the pillars are in the same color as the rest of the interior. The black pillars, the black center console, and the black top made me think the car was originally all black interior, but the certificate says otherwise.

Hi, Phil,

It’s ALMOST correct for that year. The radio console should have the rectangular ash tray above the radio, but the radio looks to be in about the right place. The speaker mounts are correct, and correct in black. However, the external speaker mounted on top of the stock mounts is not correct – they should mount inside the enclosure and be covered with an aluminum screen. Thinner speakers or narrower radio like RetroSound will allow that to be made right, if you like.

You are right that the console should be the color of the interior, though with tan interiors some parts are darker than others – Pekka may have the correct answer. None of that assembly except the speaker mount panels should be black. For a '65 I think the material on the front of the radio box, top of the console, and cubby was still leather rather than plastic (vinyl sides).

Of course, as John says it looks nice in black, and any color you like is right for your car.

Jerry

Looks beautiful !! Great looking E. John

Phil,

The gap looks about right for a '65. There should be a rubber flap spanning that gap behind the info labels. But that radio face may have been fabricated, it may not be right. In any case, you want the panel to be able to flip down easily, for a lot of reasons.

Jerry

You might wonder about just keeping the ash tray off, but I have found it useful for a few things even though I don’t smoke. It’s a convenient storage place for an iPhone, hidden. It’s a storage space for iPhone wires and plugs, and you can open it to get them out for use. David Jones (UK) showed this many years ago and it works well for the rectangular ash tray cars. Besides, the console looks better with the ash tray in there. Parts to build one are available from our vendors.

Jerry

Phil,

I have a similar radio face with no ashtray which was likely fabricated by a previous owner who didn’t smoke (unless Jaguar offered an ashtray delete option) and installed a modern radio to replace whatever the car came with. Gap between top of radio face and instrument panel is also large enough that there is no interference when dropping the panel. Installation of speakers is similar with aftermarket speakers surface mounted.

Car is in storage and I don’t have pictures, but installation is very similar to your car. Entire console is black, with smooth leather on top surface and vinyl on sides and radio face. Color matches original black interior.

Since parts are available, I have contemplated building an original radio face with ashtray and period radio, relocating speakers and adding mesh covers as described by Jerry.

Famous last words, but it shouldn’t be that difficult.

Bob Hodgins
66 FHC

To my eye the centre console looks fine. The radio surround looks to be a home made job to me.

Thanks John for the info and the car compliment!

Great info, Jerry. I am going to talk to someone like BAS about getting it back to original in both color and features, and I’ll ask about that flap.

Phil,

I think the last time I did it I cut a piece from a bicycle tube.

Jerry

Hi Phil…over on the UK forum there is a factory fit section that shows many details of original cars…there is a 65 4.2 in there…have a look http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2007

I have Series I 2+2 with a build date of June 1966.

It would appear that the radio console has been modified with the face plate shaved back and the ashtray removed.

The speaker surrounds have been updated probably to allow for larger speakers. The originals have a chrome mesh (and spacer) mounted inside the speaker opening. Black is the correct colour.

Your shift portion of centre console has been modified as well. The cowling cover should be vinyl or “heat shrink” material and protrudes through the centre consul in a “Y” shape. Yours has been capped and edge stitched. The colour should be the same as the interior.

The gear shift gaiter should be rubber and there should be plastic chrome moulding around the opening. This is usually not replaced when the consul has been redone due to increased thickness.

Your installation looks good, and I bet the drop down instrument panel has clearance!

Unless you intend to enter it in a Concours there is no reason to change a thing.

Bob

Thank you Jerry, MCG and Bob! All extremely useful info!

I am thinking of lining my black plastic S3 centre console with leather but have so far not even been able to get is off. How does the front end come out? Bobby

I’ve done it…call and I’ll tell ya who does it better then most !! Looks great when done. John 917 544 3124

I’m in te sunshine Coast, Australia, John. Where are you?