It's a sad day in NY

It is a sad day at the GT Joey household today. His beloved dog Bo has passed away. Bo Limongnelli loved his Daddy and riding in the Jag and was 17 years and four months old.

Up until fourteen years ago, I had never had a pet and neither had my wife. At that time I traveled for my career 80-100% of the time and my wife was taking care of her Dad with dementia in our home for six years, and then in a nearby memory care facility for his last six years. She was there at the facility with him every day for six to eight hours a day, sometime longer. As I saw her Dad start to decline, I could only imagine the sense loss of taking care of someone that my wife would experience when her Dad passed. I then came up with the idea that we needed a dog for her to care for, someone/something to continue to care for and that is when I convinced her, despite her misgivings, to acquire a 2 1/2 pound Maltese puppy.

Over the next fourteen years, that little guy wormed his way into our lives, our hearts, and our king-sized bed. Up until then when a friend would tell us that their dog had passed away, we didnā€™t understand their sense of loss. When Buddy passed away last May, we both were devastated, we understand now what it mean to lose a pet.

A few months ago there was a thread about dogs passing away and I used it as an opportunity to post Buddyā€™s picture. @j_limongelli posted something at that time, that I have now repeated to two friends whose dogs passed away recently. His post was -

When my Mom died I cried.
When my Dad died I cried.
When my dog passed away I cried for weeks.

This is so true. Dogs have a way through their unconditional love and pure joy of seeing you, even if youā€™ve only been gone for a few hours, of becoming closer to you than most other humans in your life. Iā€™m certain that like us, Joey spent more time with his dog than he did most other people in his life.

7 Likes

A sad day indeed. Some of the most difficult days of my life.
Reminds me of the great quote:
ā€œIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.ā€ ā€“ Will Rogers

1 Like

Not only dogs cats get in there as well, condolences to anyone who has lost a buddy.

2 Likes

So sorry, heartbreaking event. Sad days all around.
pauls

1 Like

So very trueā€¦

Know the feeling exactly. Lost our ā€œElvisā€ (a maltipoo) last February at age 15 1/2. Very sad period. My condolences to JT Joey. Be glad for the time you had him.

Yes, our animal companions become our closest friends. The loss can hit harder than with someone outside the immediate household. My sympathies

1 Like

I have had sooo many dogs, all but one needing to be put down: as such, the two I have will be the last I have.

My heart cannot take it anymore. My condolences to you, Joey.

Purportedly from a 6-year oldā€¦

ā€œPeople are born so that they can learn how to live a good life ā€” like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?ā€

ā€œWell, dogs already know how to do that, so they donā€™t have to stay for as long as we do.ā€

1 Like

Best wishes, Joeyā€¦ I know how it is, Lost my black lab in 2013, and I still cry when Iā€™m reminded of her.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss Joey. They really do not ever live long enough.

Joey, Very sorry to hear. May your memories of Bo support you. Steve - JDCLI

Hi Bob, deepest sympathy, I know what you are going through. I rescued our Beagle Reese from pouring rain and 34 degrees in January of 1997. We had her for 16 years, went through back surgery and physical therapy, which bought her two more years. I still cry for her to this dayā€¦no more pets, they live long enough to get into our souls, then they leave us.
Regards,
Allen

1 Like

Allenā€¦ but their contribution is well worth it (to me).
LLoyd

Itā€™s not what you look at that matters. Itā€™s what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

2 Likes

So sorry to hear, Joe @j_limongelli

It will be 48 hours tomorrow morning at 8am
I canā€™t say Iā€™ve stopped crying because I havenā€™t
But
Just wanted to Thank all of you for your thoughts
17 years and 4 months , my son was 12 and now 31!
That little guy was there through it all, kids growing up, parents passing and yes if I was ever sick he would be at my feet in bed for as Long as it tookā€¦
Terrible couple of days,just terrible.
I love you all
Hopefully be back soon
Thank you
Gtjoey1314šŸ˜ž

5 Likes

Heartfelt condolences to you Joey. I feel your pain, and just writing this reminds me of how you must be feelingā€¦

Iā€™m not the author, but agree entirely with the sentiment:

They will not go quietly,
the pets whoā€™ve shared our lives.
In subtle ways they let us know
their spirit still survives.
Old habits still can make us think
we hear them at the door
Or step back when we drop
a tasty morsel on the floor.
Our feet still go around the place
the food dish used to be,
And, sometimes, coming home at night,
we miss them terribly.
And although time may bring new friends
and a new food dish to fill,
That one place in our hearts
belongs to themā€¦
and always will.

4 Likes

Best to you & your wife Gtjoey.
Your pain will subside & the loss diminish over time but this will take a piece out of you that can never be replaced as anyone who has ever loved and lived with a dog knows.
Best one can do is look at picture & remember the good times & smile.
Best,
Michael Caro

Guys, I just wanted to THANK all of you once again for all your support.
Iā€™ve recieved so many emails and phone calls.
Members in the same situation, one had a 3 legged Huskey to a horse that had to be put down.
It made my wife and I feel we are not alone.
Its not easy , but this sure helpedā€¦just need time.
Thanks Bob for the original post and to everyone elseā€¦Ill be back soon.
With Deep Appreciation
GTJOEY1314

2 Likes

I know the feeling. We lost our 14 year old Pug over a year ago and still grieve her loss. LOVED that little one.