Jack retaining strap - how does it thread?

Cleaning up my 86 DD6 for a show and the cloth strap that holds the jack to the left side of the boot is always loose. How is it supposed to be threaded through the two metal buckles to keep it tight? I see someone has asked this same question back in 02 but I didn’t find any answers.

Here is my '74 XJ12 jack in the bag.

Sliding link near the retaining screw.
Strap under jack.
End link over hook on sliding link.

Thanks, Rob,

74 looks a bit different from my 85, 86, and 87, They have a strap with those same metal bits, but both metal bits are in the end and that hook goes into a bracket up on the boot side wall. For now I wrapped the strap around and between both bits which shortened it enough to hold the jack against the wall, but it looks like there should be a way to cinch up an end of the strap and have the metal bits grip it kind of like a two ring belt buckle or helmet strap; I just haven’t figured it out yet.

Me neither… 15 years I have the car now and I still haven’t figured it out…
Maybe someone in the design room thought, hey, this will drive people crazy…he he…
Or maybe we are not smart enough…

Best,
Aristides

Ok maybe you mean this way.

It does cinch like a belt or helmet but I found it works itself loose. Maybe my strap is just too old.

OK, Thanks. That makes sense.

I’ll give that a try as soon as I get the front calipers replaced. (They sat too long and I thought I could free them up, but they were too far gone - got reman units at $130 a pair from the local O’Reilly’s)

Yes, it does works itself loose every time !
Still trying to find the trick…
Aristides

Here is a step by step procedure.

1. Lay jack bag on strap.
  2. Pull strap over bag and hook in slotted bracket on side of boot.
  3. Let strap go slack.
  4. Pull only the outer portion of the strap to cinch it up tight.
  5. Jack bag is now secured.