Jag 3½ DHC LHD - photo and info needed

1. Please kindly provide a detailed photo of the hinge marked on the below photo:
    1. Spare fuel tank - are there two separate tanks in the Mark IV or two chambers in one tank?
      Thanks for support in advance!

The fuel tank is a single container with baffles internally.

Peter

Thanks a lot @Peter_Scott for your prompt reply!

Ashwater are the manufacturer of the hinges but they have a minimum charge. You may find that the same part is available from:

Peter

The internal fuel tank as mentioned is effectively split internally into 2 sections for the main fuel and what is the reserve fuel. These have internal baffels to divided the incoming fuel from the filler cap, and small cut outs on the baffle plates - which I believe are to reduce the slushing of fuel when the car is drive. Underside of the petrol tank are 2 drain and fuel filters (for the main and reserve), and these can be difficult to unscrew without deforming the metalwork of the tank. I would NOT try a blow torch on these unless you are certain NO fuel vapours are in there. These are brass fittings, with fine wire mesh inside. Also at the bottom are the 2 feed out pipes which should go to the fuel reservse valve. Here are some pictures I took plus the information from the Drivers Handbook:

Petrol tank inside top of baffle plate

David, thanks a lot for the information and for the very helpful photos. In the car I bought, the fuel tank seems to be renovated (not installed in the car) - I hope that correctly. I wanted to be sure that I was not missing a possible second tank. I know that both solutions were used in those years and some cars had two tanks.

That would be Mark VII/VIII/IX and later large saloons up to the '87 XJ.

On the SS and Mark IV tank, there are actually two baffle panels inside. The one on the left is sealed at the bottom and all around. The one to the right of center has notches at the bottom corners, which you can see in David’s pix. When you fill it, you are first filling the reserve tank. There are cutouts at the top of the left hand divider panel, so when it gets up near full, fuel spills over into the main tank.

Interesting to see contrasting construction methods, pressed panels in the Mark IV vs lots of brake formed panels and solder joints in my '38 tank.

Thanks Rob for the info and photos. Indeed, nice to see it.
:slight_smile: It seems I have a lot to learn about old Jaguars!
My last Jag was an E-type (what a driver!) and I bought it after renovation. I did not explore its technical solutions.

Look at my new post:
Jag 3½ DHC LHD - elements of a folding roof