Jag-aire results

I have a XJ6 III and am looking at the Jag-aire unit. I’ve constantly had problems with repair and mainly finding parts. Has anyone installed this in their car or know of anyone who has, and if so would love to hear about results.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean. Jag-Aire make a replacement A/C control unit, as well as some other parts, including the servo, so it might help get useful replies if you were to state which unit you mean, and what problems you have had.

I’ve been looking at the replacement that AC Amplifier for my 1987 XJ6.
Trying to see if anyone has done this and if its what they advertise it as.

In a message dated 12/12/2017 4:32:48 PM Mountain Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Mark_SF
December 12I’m not sure exactly what you mean. Jag-Aire make a replacement A/C control unit, as well as some other parts, including the servo, so it might help get useful replies if you were to state which unit you mean, and what problems you have had.
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Yes I just fixed the A/C in my 86 XJS with their amplifer. The product itself works great but I would point out that there are a lot of other things that could be wrong with the system, apart from the amp, so I would try to eliminate those first.

1. Unplug the amp, and check you have all the correct resistances at the multiplug.

2. Check continuity between the multiplug, and the servo unit.

I had a couple of problems : a blown amp, but then the new Jag Aire one still produced no response. I then found a second problem where there were a couple of bad connections in both pairs of multiplugs (one pair at the amp, another pair near the servo).

I ended up cutting out the multi-plug at the amp end and hard wiring the brand new Jag Aire amp into the loom. Now it’s working great.

No fault of the Jag Aire amp, just a demonstration of the many other things that can be wrong.

1 Like

Mark
Thanks a bunch for the info and direction. I’ll keep that in mind. Good info. Does the Jag-aire unit produce heat to? I haven’t looked thoroughly at their website to understand all it does or what is involved. Your info is a great start. Thanks again.

In a message dated 12/12/2017 6:22:32 PM Mountain Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Mark_SF
December 13Yes I just fixed the A/C in my 86 XJS with their amplifer. The product itself works great but I would point out that there are a lot of other things that could be wrong with the system, apart from the amp, so I would try to eliminate those first.
Unplug the amp, and check you have all the correct resistances at the multiplug.Check continuity between the multiplug, and the servo unit.I had a couple of problems : a blown amp, but then the new Jag Aire one still produced no response. I then found a second problem where there were a couple of bad connections in both pairs of multiplugs (one pair at the amp, another pair near the servo).
I ended up cutting out the multi-plug at the amp end and hard wiring the brand new Jag Aire amp into the loom. Now it’s working great.
No fault of the Jag Aire amp, just a demonstration of the many other things that can be wrong.

How the heater works is by passing some air through the A/C evaporator, which is then very cold, and some air through a heater core, which, you’ve guessed it, is then very hot. Then blend flaps mix the two air flows to get the temp you want. The amplifier controls the servo motor that drives the blend flaps.

Whether you get heat or a/c when required depends on other factors like whether the a/c system is working, coolant is flowing through the heater core, the coolant is at the correct temp, and so on.

All the Jag Aire amp can do is make sure that the blend flaps move to the correct position, when required, based on various inputs.

The servo motor also drives various micro switches, vacuum solenoids, etc.

Lots to go wrong.

Having said that, the original amp is very troublesome, and in fact I would stick my neck out and say that any Delanair Mk II system either has a blown amp, or a replacement one. I’ve never seen a working original one.

Actually, Mark; all air, external or recirculating, is first passed through the evaporator. The flaps regulate the amount of air that then is passed through the heater core for tempering when the cabin has reached set temp…

The purpose of the AC amplifier is to reposition the servo according to amp inputs - which does all the work. ‘Lots can go wrong’ is spot on - and a primary test is to verify if the servo can be heard to operate when temp setting is altered…

As an aside; I wonder if some ‘amplifier failures’ are caused by bad/corroded connections? Some input currents are very small and easily blocked by corrosion. Never really considered that until mentioned above - a simple, if not conclusive, test is to unplug/replug the connectors, which sometimes scrubs off corrosion. Which happens when a replacement is fitted…

Not to deny that the AC amplifiers do fail…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hey guys
I had my A/C gone thru a year ago. It works great so far, but heat does not come out of the lower area in the cabin. Vents and defroster only. The mechanic that did this said he couldn’t find the part or something to make it do that. I’ve moved since then, and have always wondered if he just couldn’t figure it out or there was something I need to hunt for. Any direction?

In a message dated 12/14/2017 12:09:52 AM Mountain Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Frank_Andersen
December 14 Mark_SF:
How the heater works is by passing some air through the A/C evaporator, which is then very cold, and some air through a heater core, which, you’ve guessed it, is then very hot. Then blend flaps mix the two air flows to get the temp you want. The amplifier controls the servo motor that drives the blend flaps.**
Actually, Mark; all air, external or recirculating, is first passed through the evaporator. The flaps regulate the amount of air that then is passed through the heater core for tempering when the cabin has reached set temp…
The purpose of the AC amplifier is to reposition the servo according to amp inputs - which does all the work. ‘Lots can go wrong’ is spot on - and a primary test is to verify if the servo can be heard to operate when temp setting is altered…
As an aside; I wonder if some ‘amplifier failures’ are caused by bad/corroded connections? Some input currents are very small and easily blocked by corrosion. Never really considered that until mentioned above - a simple, if not conclusive, test is to unplug/replug the connectors, which sometimes scrubs off corrosion. Which happens when a replacement is fitted…
Not to deny that the AC amplifiers do fail…:slight_smile:
Frank

DwMcGee,

Clarification would be helpful in diagnosing your system. To clarify does your system switch between hot and cold? …but simply does not direct heat to the lower heat flaps? Or does the system never get hot? Generally speaking, the lower heat flaps are controlled by a vacuum pot on the left side of the transmission tunnel controlled via the mode control switch.
I suggest you check your vacuum connections to verify operation.

Cheers

Gary

Great suggestion Gary

In a message dated 12/14/2017 5:35:28 PM Mountain Standard Time, noreply@jag-lovers.com writes:

Gary_CrosbyGary Crosby 75 XJ6L, 85 XJ-S, 09 XF Supercharged.
December 15DwMcGee,
Clarification would be helpful in diagnosing your system. To clarify does your system switch between hot and cold? …but simply does not direct heat to the lower heat flaps? Or does the system never get hot? Generally speaking, the lower heat flaps are controlled by a vacuum pot on the left side of the transmission tunnel controlled via the mode control switch.
I suggest you check your vacuum connections to verify operation.
Cheers
Gary
In Reply ToDWMcGee
December 14Hey guys I had my A/C gone thru a year ago. It works great so far, but heat does not come out of the lower area in the cabin. Vents and defroster only. The mechanic that did this said he couldn’t find the part or something to make it do that. I’ve moved since then, and have always wondered if he ju…

Air temp is controlled by one set of flaps, McGee - air direction by another set The side vents are manually controlled, ‘open/close’ and direction - not depending on vacuum…

As Gary says; vacuum is vital for some flap operations - worth while looking into. The centre vents are opened by vacuum, the def flaps are closed by vacuum - they are kept closed unless set in ‘def’. The water valve is closed by vacuum. These are initial checks - confirming vacuum is generally delivered, also verified at the vacuum reservoir. This is the clarification called for - together with confirmation that the servo responds when temp settings are changed…:slight_smile:

Frank