Jag Cheaped Out Again

I think I posted sometime back that I usually don’t take my Jags through those “ride-along” carwashes :grimacing: , but they had just recently built a brand new one with top of the line “cleaning technology” not too far from where I live, so I thought I would give it a try (and selecting just their “basic wash”). :triumph:

First thing I noticed was that as Superblue went onto that “guiding rail” thing that pulls the car along, I heard a CLANG and felt a jolt from underneath her, as in metal hitting metal. :open_mouth: I had experienced this very same thing several years ago at another nearby ride-along wash, but just chalked that experience up to perhaps something not being in proper alignment or some such at that location. Neither time did Superblue experience any harm from same (fortunately :disappointed_relieved: ). I still do not understand though WHY the disturbing noise and jolt. :confused:

In any event, my big complaint this time is that, after I went to examine Superblue a few hours later, while parked at the grocery store, I noticed her driver’s side windshield washer jet cover was missing. :rage: The logical assumption is that one of the big brushes on the carwash line knocked it off, somehow. :thinking: A few days ago, I got curious about the one on the passenger side, and gave it a shake. Turns out it is now loose, apparently b/c of the same mishap. :angry: (bottom line: if you have an XJS and want to go through a ride-along wash, only ride through the BRUSHLESS ones :teacher: ) …

Anyway, to add insult to injury (I guess), I was curious as to whether I might be able to “borrow” the missing cover off of Superblack, until I can find another OEM one for Superblue. I was stunned (but I guess, not surprised :roll_eyes: ) to discover that Superblack’s covers, unlike those of Superblue, are real, solid metal. Superblue’s, by contrast, are just cheap plastic painted to look like chrome (S.S.). :open_mouth: Yet again, as the face-lifts came into being, Jag picked a part to cheap out on in order to save a few $$. :angry:

btw, anyone know if they are interchangeable? If so, I might try to get a pre-face lift pair to put on Superblue. :thinking:

That would be Ford cheaping out.

1 Like

I’ve owned a couple cars that GM bought out, both had issues with cheap out parts. Involved using plastic instead of metal. Both parts didn’t last very long.

American car companies are well known for cutting corners to make more profit to make quarterly earnings look good. Why I haven’t bought American in 25 years, and now don’t buy foreign if just bought out by American auto corporation.

I share the aggravation but Jaguar is notorious for cheaping-out. That’s why we have $50,000 cars with 50-cent window switches, non-sealed electric connectors, 63 amp alternators instead of 100 amp, etc etc.

In the grand scheme of things I think Ford did wonders for Jaguar quality even if they didn’t hit a home run on every decision.

But, really, there’s nothing new under the sun. Any manufacturer spends the money where they think it’ll do the most good and saves money where they think it’ll do the least harm. Sometimes they make the right choices. Other times…not so much :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

1 Like

At least where it counts, I feel the XJS is solid. Great engines, solid body, advanced engineering. Yes, the little things can be cheap… those were probably delegated to the mailroom.

1 Like

Built like a tank, drives like velvet.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Had it not been for Ford, Jaguar likely would have gone the way of the dodo.

2 Likes

Thatcher and Ford saved Jaguar.

Quality wise, nothing ever surpassed the Ford era Jaguars around 1996. The galvanized body XJS’s with AJ16s were very very very good, but a 1996 XJ12/XJ6 sedan was basically peak Jaguar. Dead reliable and just indestructible, except those rear view mirror chromatics. Wonderful, wonderful cars. I have a 96 XJ12 and it was the best $900 I ever spent. Soon I’ll put some suspension bushings in, a resealed power steering pump, and double it’s value at the gas station.

2 Likes

The X300 cars were a high point yes. I drove an XJR/6 for many years. The improvements in quality were unmistakable. Great car in so many respects. But…age and miles eventually take a toll. The gloss wears off. During the last 50k miles or so of ownership I began referring to the car as “The Tormentor”. At 171k miles I sold it off…while it was still good enough to sell.

Truthfully I’ve found the older models easier to own. But, when that XJR was in its prime, wow, what a fabulous way to travel.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

I don’t know … the one time to date that I drove Superblack (and per the person who downloaded her off the transport for me that day she arrived) … seemed to both of us to drive/handle more like a “battleship”, at least vs. the more nimble, responsive facelifts like Superblue. Probably due to the greater (front) engine weight … ? :thinking:

And that’s one thing I don’t understand about the “scheme of Jaguar”, 6Johns … If the XJS hit its peak with '96 MY (presumably Jag/Ford had most of the prior “bugs”, esp. of the V-12s, finally worked out), then why did Jaguar completely drop the XJS model after that MY? :confused: As we know, the XK8 is nothing like the XJS, in either appearance or structure. It was like Jag/Ford had to go back to the drawing board all over again for '97. Was it a matter of economics and/or lack of market demand? :confused:

LOL @ “Tormentor”, DoubleD. Ya’ll may recall (long timers) that I nicknamed my very first Jag (‘88 XJ40 VDP - 150K+ miles, IIRC) “Layla” b/c she often had me "down on my knees, beggin’ darlin ‘pleaseeee!’" (start, run, don’t miss, stop doing that, etc. etc.). :rofl: