Jag Mark IV 1948 - engine number?

Or that it was part of the Jaguar “Swap and Go” engine and gearbox practice in the 1950’s? It would be interesting to know the gearbox number in the car at present then see what Jaguar Heritage says ought to have been in the car?

Like Pekka, my MKV has an engine and gearbox from a MKIV due to the Jaguar “Swap and Go”, so It’s not uncommon.

Tim

1 Like

@Timothy2963 @Rob_Reilly
There is my gearbox number:

JHT did not record gearboxes’ numbers those days. It cannot be verified with them.

1 Like

That’s an early number so it might not be the original gearbox? Unfortunately I don’t have access to Allan Crouch’s book at the moment but someone will.

Going on you chassis number I’d say the car was built on the 14th of April 1948.

Tim

According to the JHT Ceritificate the car was produced on the 15th, see below certificate:
certyfikat
JHT does not have a gearbox number recorded in its files, so it doesn’t seem possible to check it anywhere.
I have now agreed with JHT that the number is T9019 but it is not certified.
Thanks for info about a book. Let’s hope it will be available again.

Hi Slawek,

I think that’s great progress.

You can enter all that at www.saloondata.com and add photos as you like. I like those sites and do contribute every now and then.

I’m pretty sure that if the gearbox number is SH1075 that it would be original to that MKIV and not the engine T9019.

Just like Tim wrote, it was the normal procedure for these cars that the distributors (Hornburg in LA and Brysons in AUS) to change the engines if cylinder head or main bearings needed attention.

Did you check the damper and water pump (and generator mountings) if they are MKIV or MKV style? On mine everything was like MKIV except the oil filter and carbs. But I have changed it all to MKV style over the 18 years of ownership, except the generator mountings.

There are small differences in details, so if you do an engine rebuild, the flywheel, both ends of crankshaft etc. are slightly different (no problem, but good to know), what I find funny is that valve timing is supposed to be slightly different, but I did not find a part number on my camshaft nor did I notice any difference to the MKV ROM data.

Oh, but now it’s all back together and runs. We just got about 25cm (10") of new snow so I don’t think I’ll be driving again anytime soon.

Quite striking original colours, what I have been told, is that “Ivory” was quite a rare colour on both MKIV and MKV, the white cellulose paint dried slowly. In the 1930’s Silver and White were available at extra cost only.

A bit odd that they say (or have recorded) “Brown” for the interior colour, usually they called the “brown” they had for “Pigskin” or “Tan”, or officially “Pigskin Grain Tan”, Connolly VM.3280 (Tan).

AFAIK there was no other “brown” interior available in 1946-1952.

And a “Dark Sand” (brown) hood too. :smiley:

Cheers!

Ps. Now if someone would be able to find out which car originally had my engine #SL2199 ???

PS.2. Funny to see that the cars really were not in sequence, according to this certiuficat this MKIV DHC was later shipped to the same distributor in LA, CA:

And why is there a letter “B” in the body number? The only odd body numbers I had seen so far, where cars delivered to Belgium either without a body, or the partly assembled cars, for custroms and tax reasons shipped to Belgium, Australia etc.

See: Valve Timing (nostalgiatech.co.uk)

The difference in the cam lobes is quite obvious too. (MkV on the right.)

SS & MkIV image

MkV image

Peter

Hi Peter,

Very interesting, I remember I had read that before.

Once I have running-in completed I might take the car to a dyno to see the figures. Of course I will report back if I do get there.

At the moment I have a gut feeling I did advance the MKIV camshaft a bit and that I may have slightly less low rev torque than I used to have before the rebuild, bu I don’t know about the top end as I am currently sticking to the max 2.000rpm suggested limit.

I had a really mystical problem with my car the last time I moved it, it was running a bit rough, but would even out once I got beyond 1.500 rpm. It was getting too much fuel. I suspected the staring carb, as it would occasionally cough.

I took the car back into the garage, I thought it may be a float issue as the front carb was clearly flooding the throat, but not the overflow pipe???

Once I opened the float chamber, the pin holding the spring to the needle valve was gone!

It can’t have just rusted away, can it?

There was a lot of brown stuff in the bottom of the float chamber, I cleaned it, fabricated a new shaft for the spring mechanism, put it back together and it ran nice and smooth.

I am clueless on what may have happened, that pin can not drop if the chamber is closed. It was not putting any fuel through the overflow pipe, but the fuel level was way too high in the carb, now it’s back to normal.

Cheers!

@ptelivuo
Thanks for all your technical inpute but unfortunately I am currently unable to answer the technic related questions.
1st I am not mechanical engineer and a lot of issues are new for me.
2nd I bought this car disassembled and incomplete. Car painter has already started metal works and preparation for painting. Assembling the car will start in 3 months at the earliest and then I will probably go into most of the technical details.
All the parts I am currently buying (and will look for) to complete my car come from Mark IV.
Nice color combination, isn’t it?:blush: I will keep this combination during restoration.

1 Like

Please be so kind and take a look at my new post:
Jag 3½ DHC LHD - elements of a folding roof

I was pretty close! :wink:

I’ve found copies here.

Tim

Thanks @Timothy2963
Almost the jackpot :wink:

Yes, I was feeling pretty smug. :grin:

Do buy a copy of Allan’s book.

Just ordered on amazon.co.uk!

Excellent, you will not regret it.

The next one is

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF--home--Results&an=Clarke&tn=Jaguar+and+SS+cars&kn=&isbn=

2 Likes

@Timothy2963
Finally I got a book (thanks for the recommendation!) from amazon and found interesting information. According to the info from the attached table, only one Mark IV was made in the color combination ivory + brown. Must be mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Abebooks: a website I prolly should NOT have ever been told about… :face_with_hand_over_mouth: