Jaguar 340 Clutch Release Bearing

Makes you think what other bad parts are we unknowingly bolting on to our car’s !

1 Like

This information is of great concern to me as I am scheduling an engine overhaul and clutch replacement next month on my 3.8S. What is the contact info for Denis Welch? Please keep us informed on how his bearing performs. When you inspected the additional bearing from the California source what exactly did you find was faulty? And finally, did you take the B&B bearing failure up with the manufacturer? They need to be informed of quality issues.

Hello guys,

Thank you for all these interesting answers. SNG Barratt sent me a new and free Borg and Beck 3-Piece clutch kit. The first one was an AP version. I hope I will be luckier with this one… I will let you know. Many thanks

Dear Bruce,
How did the last 2 years go? I will be in a similar situation. I too am changing from coil spring to Diaphragm. The release bearing I was supplied with had a longer effective length than the one for the coil spring clutch and still not long enough for the diaphragm clutch in my opinion. The longest I could find was a VKC 1019, simlilar to what I was supplied.

Pete

Hi Peter

The memory fades!
My car has been fine since I finished the rebuild some 6000 miles ago.
I do remember being concerned that the throwout lever was almost at the rear of the slot in the bell housing.
However very little travel is needed to disengage the clutch so I get disengagement without the arm hitting the rear end of the slot.

I used the later non-spring return slave cylinder.
My car has a 4.2L flywheel (bit of a mongrel build) but I don’t think this has relevance to the throwout arm position.

The clutch kit came from Barratt’s as part number HK9702Q. I did not measure the effective height on the throwout bearing as you have done.
Attached is the best picture I have showing the clutch position.

Good luck

Bruce M

Thanks Bruce,
for the record the slot in my bell housing is 23mm. It takes 14.5mm of this for the release bearing to touch the cover, leaving a further 8.5mm of useful travel before the lever touches the end of the slot. It might just be that this is enough. It certainly is for your set-up. I’ll cross my fingers!
Peter