Jaguar 420g Wheels

Apologies as this topic will have been discussed b4.

Am looking to put better quality tyres on my 420g - seems like it effectively has trailer tyres on it 195/R14, which are too Narrow and slightly too smaller diameter, and side walls seem to sag a heap even though the load rating seems to be fine + also seem to be very noisy. (At least that is where I think the noise is coming from so I want to upgrade and eliminate them at the same time. B4 I investigate diff or bearings etc.

From what I can understand the correct size tyre would be a 205/80/R14 of which basically they are not available unless you go for the Michellen XWX tyres which do not seem to be stocked locally anyway (Nz)

Can go up a tyre Size to 215/75/R14 which gives very close to the correct tyre diameter and opens up a few more options. Or go up to XJ6 style 15 inch wheels to give more options again.

Also important is looks - I have kind of decided that the standard 14 inch wheel looks best with a thin whitewall, the few pics I can see of the 15 inch chrome XJ6 wheels somehow do not look right at least on the computer but hard to say without seeing them in real life.

What are peoples thoughts on the best tyre wheel combo - I would like to go to the 215 width - I assume these will fit OK on the standard 14 inch Rims? and not cause any rub issues etc.
Is there any particular tyys people would recommend.

Out of interest would a Xj6/S Kent Alloy fit on the Hubs of the 420g - offset rights and stud length OK ?to accommodate the the alloy - I think they may look OK but cannot find any pics - 215/70/R15 gives the exact same original Diameter.

Any thoughts, ideas, discussion - pictures with example wheel combos would be appreciated.

Thanks - Shane

I would check that 215 tyres do not rub something full lock (by checking what clearance you have now)

I have 15" 205/65 XJ wheels on mine due to the tyre issue

I think there maybe other 14" options out there, as many owners still have the 14" wheels

Here in the states, there are VERY few options anymore for 14" tyres: the Rover has that size, and all I can really find is Uniroyal Tiger Paw 175/70s.

I have 205/70R14 whitewalls on my 1970 420G. Whitewall is slightly thicker than some, which I like. These were very inexpensive tyres.

10 Likes

Your 420G is looking a bit gorgeous. A lot of love and devotion is well evident.

Thank you! It looks a little different now. I got rid of that horrible tex side mirror and the wheels have been colour coded to the body. It’s had a new interior, wood has been restored. Currently restoring the engine bay so she’s without an engine right now. There was a lot of rust u der the heater box that I had to have repaired. Can’t wait to drive her again,

3 Likes

Look forward to seeing the updates.

She’ll be good for another 50 plus years.

Splendid car!
Cotswold Blue or something that you chose? I have a Renault blue on a very non original 140 DHC. I thought Jaguars Pastel Blue lacked punch.

It’s similar to Cotswold blue, not sure they used Cotswold blue in 1970, for the 420G it was just called light blue. I like it better than Cotswald blue. Jaguar paint codes are a nightmare.

This car has got the XJ S1 wheels, 15”, where the choice of tyres are much bigger. But I have orig wheels on 3 others and with the XWX 205 VR14, tge diameter is a bit larger!!!
Fantastic tyres😅

1 Like

On my car, I changed to 15" wheels from a 3.8S because they are the same width, retain the same hubcap, and I could get NOS ss rimbelishers for Mk2 to go with them. I wanted whitewalls and couldn’t find good options in the 14" tires. Mine are 205/70/R15 off the shelf from the local tire store (have to check brand), not terribly expensive. Overall tire height is about 3/4" taller than the 14s that came off. Spare fits fine in the boot.

Even though I already owned the wheels from a parts car, this wasn’t a cheap option, as these wheels required blasting and powdercoating. In addition, one turned out to be pretty bent, and I spent another $100 getting it straightened. I am satisfied with the results. The xj6 option might be cheaper if you don’t have to restore.

I share Tony’s concern about the 215s. Check carefully before you do it. The 205s are plenty of tire - you don’t need the extra width.

Looks great and virtually stock.

Decided to stick with the stk 14 inch rims - went with 215/75 r14, with 1 inch whitewalls. fairly much exact same dia as original from what I an tell, the extra width fills the wheel well giving the car a better looking stance at least to the 195,S it had on it. No rubbing or clearance issues so far, happy with look.

2 Likes

Oh please dont put white walls on these cars.

you are in a bit of a corner with the 420G and the MKX

I’m afraid the only tyre worth considering of any quality that is right is the 205VR14 XWX, but they dont come cheap. they are a fair price for what they are, but it does amount to a large credit card bill.

the next best option is 205/70VR15 but you are changing wheels and spending money to compromise the ride of the car, but it is better than running any of those dreadful 75% profile white banded tyres. you cant fit a white wall on a Jag surely. I know they did in the day, but it was a mistake then.

Also looking to go the 15x6" wheel route on my Mk X, as its probably cheaper to have new rims & new tyres rather than keeping with the original 14" tyre. Looking at a smoothie steel wheel, with a backspace of 3.75" & an offset of +6mm, anyone know if this would be ok?.. Thanks in advance.

weddingCars1

Much better ride and handling with the 15 inch tires.

I have 205/65/15 on S1 or S2 XJ steel wheels and they are fine

One has the knobs that hold the same hubcaps as the 420G, and the other doesnt

Cant remember which, I have S3 Euro trim hardware on my wheels

Its wise to retain the original wheels for the originality freak

the ride will be dreadful on 205/65R15! it is completely the wrong kind of tyre made for a completely different kind of modern cars suspesion and steering.

Even if you go for the correct szie 205/70VR15 tyres (you would fit Pirelli P5 they are the best CN12 also excellent as is Michelins XWX) you are compromising the ride by loosing some side wall height. however a period 205/70VR15 tyre will be phenominally better than a 205/65.

However really spend the money and fit the 205VR14 Michelin XWX.

The ride will be dramatically nicer. the footprint of a 205VR14 is thinner than that of a 205/70VR15 and the carcass shap and structure is quite different and absorbs the shocks of the road much better. There isnt another 205R14 you would even consider it kind of really needs to be XWX. For me the money saved isnt worth the compromise you have to make