A/ c refrigerators back and front
Diamond stitching 10 yea 100, 000 mile warranty
56 grand!
Self drives
Self stops
Sells parks
Want to compare the current xj?
It’s truly a shame

There is not a single chance in hell I would buy a Jaguar over any other Asian car.

Agreed where years ago it was cheap transportation , they now dominate the market
My friend who is an uber driver
Drives a Hyundai hybred
125,000 miles I. 4 years
Wood dash all leather and gets 600 miles to the tank!
He paid 36,000
Lexus changed the game in 1989
No one has caught up since
JGuar was special
The dealer experience was special
It’s not special any longer
And now this…
I hope they have a game changer in 2025 but I doubt it

They only discussed disallowing 9600 HP merch. I don’t think they could possibly have any IP claim over images of my car.

What we are hearing
If your using an image for say a car show
Or promotion or anything with a transaction of money using the image

Assuming you created said image, you own it not the company that made something in the image. If you shot an artistic landscape of your home would the architect have a legal claim? It’s your home.

They would probably have a claim over the name and logos though if you say, made a t-shirt with a big knock off spinner on it.

It’s ugly and it’s all grey…
Let’s say the image for this section a red Etype
The forum
Takes donations or Jaguar can ask for a tax or copyright use
But in the 1970s they were begging people to keep the name alive
That’s the issue for me
If you build a ctype and say it’s real
I understand
If you get a Chinese clothes manufacture and start producing 15.000 outfits with the logo
We all understand but what we are hearing and seeing is a lot worse
It’s a last gasp Erica
Imho
Ps don’t forget only 60 days ago they were never going down this road in the letter remember?

I better be careful where I open the hood on the Jeep…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That’s funny…but in today’s world who knows!
Gtjoey-3-4

September 2016. Watkins Glenn Vintage Grand Prix. '53 C-type on display on Franklin St., parked next to a '63 DB4. Can’t remember the number offhand. I got to chat up its owner. He drove it in the parade so not exactly “on the road”. But I get your point. This all seems a bit unreal.

Only a few years ago, the local Jag dealer sponsored our annual show/charity, had us in for a yearly lunch/social fund raiser for their charity, etc…

Once Tata came in the temperature in the room changed.

Every Japanese and Korean car I can think of at one time had a reputation, deserved or not, for poor quality. Every one of them managed to overcome that reputation to the point that their history is not a factor in their sales.

Jaguar, on the other hand, seems to be haunted by a quality reputation that will not die.

Now that’s funny…
Gtjoey1314

If this is really Jaguar’s current direction, then it comes down to incompetent management. Either a CEO who is out of touch with what’s going on in legal and marketing, or a CEO who is trying to apply consumer marketing ideas to the automotive world (i.e. someone who has no historical or depth knowledge of the industry.)

Competent management would have resolved Jaguar’s quality control problems 10 years ago. Ford came close to getting Jaguar to above average, but after the Tata takeover it plummeted again. The problems being in design and engineering as opposed to worksmanship and assembly.

Some possible theories for the Jaguar vintage history clampdown:

1. Marketing thinks there’s a gold mine of revenue to be derived from merchandising Jaguar’s history (as opposed to just trademarks and logos.) They look at Ferrari, by far the most profitable company in this field. But even Ferrari as far as I know isn’t going nearly this far (trying to bar images of people’s own cars.)

2. Perhaps the restoration and vintage arm of Jaguar is raking in the money, and now management sees an aggressive expansion of this as a way to build a much bigger profit center. Maybe they think they can corner the entire vintage Jaguar market the way Don Law has cornered the XJ220 market and get all that for themselves.

Of course, these are ridiculous ideas, but who knows what “fresh eyes and open minded thinking” might cook up? Even if they could work, Jaguar is in a much weaker position than say, Ferrari or Porsche to pull it off. I don’t think anybody could.

Furthermore, to take my conspiracy theories further, if either were true, then they’re executing a half-completed strategy. Before trying to enforce legalities on stuff like images and replicas, I’d have had a coherent licensing and sales strategy in place. (i.e. you can sign a legal release, or pay us x% of sales, or license these images from us instead.)

Having no comprehensive strategy for this makes me think it’s a half-baked idea from legal\marketing and one hand doesn’t know what the other is doing.

Dave

Absolutely true, because I lived through it: that said, it’s a different time, a completely different market place, and I don’t think JLR will pull off a miraculous recovery.

All things die. It may be Jaguar’s time.

When a major corporation brings on a high powered consulting firm to help identify billions of pounds in synergies, that include very ambitious cost reduction targets and massive reductions in employee numbers, it’s a clear sign of troubled waters. You can be sure there have been tense management meetings with the single minded focus on identifying untapped sources of potential cashflow. But this, if true, is a drowning man grasping at straws.

Guys, considering the marginal information available here, the level of extrapolation and outrage is pretty impressive.

2 Likes

Jaguar continues to trade upon its heritage (otherwise, why bother with the continuation E-Type Lightweights). Even if Jaguar classic car owners do not own a modern Jaguar, the money we pour into our cars means that heritage is maintained, the cars are kept on the road and therefore provides free advertising to the brand. Sadly, with the ditching of the XJ, the slow and painful demise of the XF and XE, all Jaguar have left are the tiny (in comparison to Porsche) sales of their sports models and their SUV range. Not a lot to differentiate them from the herd without the heritage.

Jaguar’s marketing decisions weren’t the best even way back …

(Excerpts from a Google story)

Here’s a question for you: What was Jaguar’s biggest-ever marketing blunder?

Sometime in 1961, a British television-production company reached out to Jaguar to obtain one of the company’s XKE sports cars for use in a new show that was about to begin production.

That show, The Saint, would feature Roger Moore (not yet Sir Roger Moore) as Simon Templar, a wealthy, sophisticated, globetrotting bon vivant who graciously interjected himself into the intrigues and subterfuge he naturally came upon in his travels.

As Templar was a man of wealth and taste—and had a sporting demeanor—The Saint‘s producers felt Jaguar’s new sports car would make a perfect fit for the character.

The folks at Jaguar, alas, didn’t see the benefit of an association with The Saint , and passed on the opportunity. One explanation for company’s decision to decline was that the XKE was proving so successful with the media and buying public that no additional marketing support was needed—especially one that involved giving away cars.

Many sources say James Bond almost drove an E-type in Goldfinger.

In the novel Goldfinger, Ian Fleming gave Bond the Aston Martin DB Mk III to temporarily replace his usual Bentley, which he takes from the Secret Intelligence Service’s car pool. Bond chooses between the Aston and a Jaguar, feeling that there was little between them, but that Aston had the slight edge.

Ironically, this same decision arose when looking for Bond’s car during the pre-production of the film Goldfinger . The Jaguar E-Type was to have been Bond’s car if Cubby Broccoli had had things his way, however Sir William Lyons refused to lend the production the three Jags Cubby requested. So, Cubby turned to his second choice, the Aston Martin DB5. This decision would change the identity of the marque forever, helping to create one of the world’s most iconic vehicles and forever associating Aston Martin with James Bond. Jaguar are still playing catch up to this day.