Jaguar diagnostic tool for AJ16 AND more

it is a shame that I can not justify spending 1600 on a tool that I would use once a year https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGACY-IDS-VCM-JAGUAR-LAND-ROVER-Diagnostic-Scanner-Kit-Dealer-Scan-Flash-Tool/323861218688?hash=item4b67a20580:g:AG4AAOSwZA1ZkLli

All you need is the Rotunda VCM and the 2 cables.
I use a Dell C640 Windows XP and the VCM with the cables.(VCM II will NOT WORK!)

The VCM and cables are sometimes offered on eBay or other places and the cables should be with the sale.

Any Pentium (4) 1.8GHz or faster laptop with Windows XP should work just fine.

I paid less than $100 for each C640 I have and I found a few Rotunda VCMs for about $600 each.

The software can be anything from IDS DVD 42 to 118.5.
SDD can be used if your car is new enough.

Let me know if to want IDS DVD 42,43,101,102 or 118.5. (I have all of these)

good info however I am not sure if I clearly understand all the things needed .
simply i need a windows xp laptop with a hardware or interface called VCM ,which i guess is the communicator between the laptop and obd2 port with correct cables.
also i need the software.
i just looked for vcm’s and all i could find was VCM II
Would you mind if I bother you for more help( questions) if i decide to go that route.

Correct. The Vehicle Communication Module is the link between the OBDII port in the car and the USB port on the computer.

The original setup that we got from Jaguar in 2006 was a Panasonic ToughBook 1.8 GHz but I used my personal Toshiba laptop and loaded the IDS software onto it to see if it worked and of course it did.

I left the dealer and bought a used Rotunda VCM with the cables. I found a couple of Dell C640 laptops that were newer than my Toshiba so I retired the Toshiba.

The ToughBook is a good choice for a workshop but not necessary if you are careful.(don’t drop it)

The VCM II is a later version. I think it might work for SDD 150 or something much later than IDS.(Integrated Diagnostic Software 2006-2009)

I can help with WDS or IDS but I have NO CLUE how to work SDD. I left the dealer in 2006 so all the training I have stops at the X350, X202, X400 and X100.

WDS might be a possibility for you depending what car you are trying to communicate with.

They are getting hard to find also!!!

Contact me if you have more questions with WDS or IDS.

bob

1 Like

Bob
I will be using it for my inline six xjs’s , 1995 model year.thanks for the info.
the fist step would be finding a reasonably priced wds , or VCM ONE

Where are you located Gourgen?

There is one in Pennsylvania on eBay now. It has been on there for months but the guy wants too much for shipping to me. (Texas USA)

If it were local I would likely buy it.

I am in VA Bob
I would like to know what you think about , ebay item 282213086932

You MUST use SDD 125 or later to use a J2534 interface device. The Rotunda VCM can be used for SDD (Version 119>) or IDS (version DVD42 to DVD118.5).

I don’t know if SDD will revert to Legacy IDS for Jaguars before 1998?

The BEST device for the early cars are WDS or PDU.
PDU is likely a lost cause due to the fact that most are in the trash. The CD drives failed and the units are OBSOLETE unless you have ALL the CDs. (with a working CD drive)

Let us know what you decide.

bob

Bob
I just purchased a VCM I with cables on ebay.
I also purchased an panasonic toughbook cf30 with windows xp installed.

If you have the Panasonic ToughBook CF30 then why is it time to buy a Windows XP laptop?

I updated my post after the toughbook purchase however I forgot to delete my previous comment.:grinning:

Hi my name is Krystian. I’m new on forum. I write from Poland. I have two x300 4.0 94’ and 96’. I read you post about IDS. I bought original VCM also computer with Win XP but I have problem with IDS. I have ver. 131 but it is with SDD and I don’t need this. I’m looking older version like 108 or 118. Could you share with me any previous version than my? Of course I can share my version if you need.
Best regards
Krystian.

sdd 131 will be perfect for you , it will change to ids when you enter an older vehicle vin

1 Like

When you have a Rotunda VCM and you have no intention of working on Jaguars later than 2009, IDS 118.5 is ALL you will ever need.(SDD is annoying to get the early cars to communicate)
The IDS 118.5 needs Windows XP PRO Service Pack 2 to work properly.
Windows 7 Pro 32 bit will also work.

Send me a Private Message so I can get you a link to the download.

1 Like

MOTORCARMAN was nice enough to send me the older ids and he is right 118.5 is the best for older jaguar , glad he is willing to help another member , motorcarman you are the MAN .

2 Likes

I have old Acer laptop with XP Pro 32bit SP3. I hope it will work well.
Regards

1 Like