Jaguar E Type 4.2 pistons

All the more reason we would hope to see you here, Paul! Also, may I say it, that’s a heck of a good first name… :slight_smile:

Very cool!

In my past life as a mechanic–it must’ve been the better part of 45 years ago, when I began using the three-piece oil rings: I remember being a little bit doubtful about them, but in fact they really do work better than the single piece cast rings.

It is a great first name, it’s one that you don’t need to spell out to people :slight_smile:

Three piece rings are great - they are more conformable so control oil consumption better and also lower drag so free up a little bit of power. They really are a win win. Most modern engines are using them again, and all performance pistons also use them.

The ones with the Jaguar pistons use a wired expander so this also prevents fitting errors with the expander overlapping. No performance benefit, but potentially a big problem (and cost) avoided for the end user.

The rings are also designed so they will fit other manufacturers pistons, so the option is also there to upgrade the rings even if you are reusing the old pistons.

Kind regards,
Paul

Kind regards,
Paul

1 Like

According to two engine builders I know, who specialize in Brit engines, there is nothing particularly special about Nural pistons.

County pistons are apparently every bit as good, at a significantly lower price, and include a superior ring set to the Nurals.

Someone on J-L recently contacted Terry’s about pistons, and County pistons were the recommendation.

You read my mind: I wanted to ask @Paul_Hepolite his opinion on County pistons.

They are a reasonable budget piston and probably very close to the original parts. Credit to them for keeping parts available for classic British vehicle (not just Jaguar).

Of course I am going to be a little biased, but we also checked Nural parts as part of our market / quality research and I am 100% confident that we are delivering a better product both from a specification perspective and a tolerance perspective. Our print data shows critical dimensions held to within 15 microns, the quality check documents show no critical tolerance was exceed by more than 6 microns during production.

Only one other manufacturer of cast pistons for Jaguar are running this tight tolerance (MAHLE) - but we run better ring packs than they do, our pistons are all tin coated and we run tighter piston to wall clearance at around typically 0.03mm which is in line with OEM service data.

Kind regards,
Paul

2 Likes