Jaguar e-type Opalescent Dark Green

Pretty, at ANY angle or light!

2 Likes

That’s very true…the Low-Rider and Kustom guys would probably argue it’s not even a metallic :wink:

1 Like

Is this opalescent dark green on my1962 mark2? Under strong close-up magnification I can see golden particles in the paint which make it glow in sunlight.
It’s a repaint, I imagine, by the previous owner who sold it to me from his private museum.
SAJ in NZ

No pic!! Here it is again

1 Like

Not sure if Dan Mooney at TeamCJ is in today. I believe he was in Monterey last week. No harm trying.

In my opinion, that’s not a very close match to ODG. That’s more of what I would describe as an “Emerald Green”. I’m certainly not a colorist, but yours appears to have more blue in it than ODG.

This is not a great pic of my 29,000 mile, original paint car, but it does show how direct light and shade make the color appear drastically different, and how it’s still a fairly ‘muted’ color, even in sunlight.

He’s another one in fairly direct light

3 Likes

Thanks Ben. Yours looks very different. I thought ours (my wife’s actually. My Mark2 is Monza red) looked quite like John “thelews” E-type. But only in some pics.
Is th emerald green you mention a Jag colour I wonder. No matter, we both like it, though probably a more modern metallic with all the tiny gold glitter in it.
SAJ in NZ

No, I’m just using that term in the most general way….like “electric blue”, or “ruby red”.

”Emerald” is indeed a metallic Jaguar colour from the late 1990’s and early 2000. I have a friend who has a 2001 XKR Convertible in Emerald / Sand. But it is MUCH lighter than ODG.

Cheers!

At one of our recent local Jaguar meets, I parked my Sherwood green car next to one of our members OPG car. Even though Sherwood green is a flat- non metallic color, the two were surprisingly similar in color. Sherwood on the RHS of the picture.

Was Sherwood an original color? It looks really nice from the pics you’ve posted of that car.

It was, but relatively rare colour, but still at least twice or more common on Series 1 3.8’s than BRG. All the data is in the JHT book by Clausager.

Cheers!

It is!
I dusted it off earlier this year and it is a very grey green.

S1 OS 1

2 Likes

As has been suggested, good examples of these colours do exist! Finding a paint supplier that will work with you to mix it properly is getting harder to find! Going through this with Jaguar Cream right now. I want something that’s closer than close!

John,
Do you have any dum dum on that tail light gasket?

No, just the gasket.

Thanks to all for your response/comments.
My car’s original color is listed on the Heritage Cert as Opalescent Dark Green. About 16 yrs ago, the PO had it stripped down to bare metal, primered, and a topcoat of PPG Midnight Jade 3042 JEB.

I decided to just enjoy driving the car and not worry about getting the original color exact. I’m thinking I’ll have it repainted in the same color (It is the color I fell in love with at time of purchase).

It looks very dark in the garage but a nice deep green in the sun with a very light blue hue.

3 Likes

And I am willing to bet that not 1 mile of your driving was made less pleasurable!

2 Likes

It may be too late to help, but here is the paint code in Valspar basecoat for the ODG color used on my '64 Series 1 FHC. I purchased this car in the original paint some of which was looking quite good but overall needed to be repainted. I polished up a door and my paint supplier matched the color with this formula. I found it a very close match to the original ODG.

5 Likes