Jaguar further reducing the lineup

Thank goodness he’s gone. I’m not sure if he’s left much to be saved, but at least it gives me a glimmer of hope.

I imagine the news of the production reduction will mostly affect Land Rover and not so much Jaguar. Based on the article, I only saw it mention the F-Pace. Its hard to cut back production of something that is barely being produced in the first place.

1 Like

It is sad to see a brand disappear, but the landscape is filled with the bodies of car manufacturers that went out of business. Here in America, there are many brands that are gone from the Big Three with a high likelihood of more to follow. This latest idea of electric cars being the solution to imagined problems will be something to watch. You just have to be glad to have lived in the golden age of the automobile, or not.

How many brands did Jaguar themselves put out of business when they were at their peak?

Not a very encouraging picture regarding JLR’s future:

Jaguar’s problem has been Speth and Bollore trying to make it into another Mercedes or BMW or something else that it isn’t. They, especially Speth, stretched the organisation too far trying to do too many things. Keep it simple, not too many models, forget huge production numbers, concentrate on the best luxury, performance car in the world.

As for the Land Rover side of the business, the cars may be selling, but what is the future unless they improve their atrocious reliability?

Hasn’t that been the question for the last 30 years? LR survives because it looks cool, and sells to a customer that keeps cars only two years.

1 Like

Ring a bell? Jeep…

Bingo, along with it is a status symbol for those who think that matters. We live on the edge of a very affluent area and LRs are more common than Toyotas around here. Just today at lunch I picked up our mail at the Post Office and counted at least a dozen in the the lot, several Bentleys, a half dozen Tesla, several Merc G Wagons, and then a couple dozen “normal” cars.

An acquaintance who is in the luxury car sales business said that almost all the LRs, along with Bentleys and the exotics, are sold on a 1 or 2 year lease. They don’t care about reliability much, as when there is a problem they usually get concierge service from the dealer who pick it up and drop off, giving them a loaner which is usually the latest fully loaded version to entice them to upgrade anyway.

1 Like

John DeLorean told a story in his book about GM. When he took over Chevrolet, he astonished the brass by pronouncing that the cars were total crap. They were amazed, as they all drove Chevy’s and they never had a bad experience. It seems the company allowed the executives to pick a new car every couple of years, and naturally they all picked top of the line models. But that’s not all. Executive cars were hand built and perfect out the door. When they arrived at the office, they flipped the keys to a car hop. Unbeknownst to them, while they were sitting at their desks, their cars were getting bumper to bumper makeovers every single day…

2 Likes

I’m often amazed that companies will institutionally build in ways, often inadvertently, that insulate the executives from how the rest of their employees or customers experience their products.

One company I was at had a couple dedicated IT people just for the executive team to quickly address their desktop computing issues. It was nice as I got my problems fixed fast, but I immediately realized that it was causing a big disconnect with what all the other employees experienced. It took a bit of convincing, but I got that policy changed so our problems went to the same help desk as every other employee. It didn’t take long for the real problems to be seen, and big changes were made in our desktop infrastructure.

Same company also had a special customer service number for the executives to call for any problems (our business was satellite digital TV). Again, this insulated us, and with some more convincing and a little fighting, I got that changed so we called in to the general number like everyone else. Once again, attention was suddenly paid to fixing problems that our customers were complaining about that the exec team had dismissed.

It isn’t rocket science. Just some very simple little management decisions can have a huge impact on a company’s products.

5 Likes

It seems poor reliability isn’t limited to LR in this category. I recently read that once it’s a year old the Mercedes GL is worse than LR products - quite a dent in the three pointed star.

Sadly, Mercedes’ legendary reliability ended quite a few years ago: I have a friend, upon my recommendation bought a Mercedes motorhome about 8 years ago. In its first year, under warranty it cost her $11,000 to repair things. Never again will I recommend a Mercedes.

I think @Michael_Frank may have something to add…

2 Likes

Ever since the DaimlerChrysler merger quality seems to have dropped a bit, although I have a product of the era, it is a very very good car and I am confident in it. In the family for 20 years and frequently sees >200kmh.

That’s the excuse. The reality is that the Mercedes 124 class was an extraordinary car. But to continue with that level of build quality would have priced the E-class over $100K and this in the mid-90’s. The 210 chassis, designed long before the merger, promised the world…Mercedes features and luxury, at lower cost. Something had to give, and it was quality. What Mercedes may have learned from Chrysler was how to build mass quantity. Not that they charge less for them.

1 Like

What they never got right was the rust. The quality is great, it’s excellent for the most part. The steel, the welding of the subframes, rubberized door handles and knobs, single row timing chains in the m271 and a horrendous steering column could have been avoided.

The newer cars are ugly, the build quality seems alright and the manufacturing standards are still high. I‘m of the opinion that quality wise they have gotten way better since the 00s.

Imagine MB reducing their lineup… :rofl:

Sadly, Mercedes’ legendary reliability ended quite a few years ago”.
As with much of today’s world, reliance on computers and other electronic this-and-that is suppose to be the “Next Generation” of quality, making life better. As Colonel Potter, 4077 MASH says “Horse Pucky”!!!
One of my Sons explained the transportation mantra of today. When the warranty runs out, get rid of the vehicle!
We have a world of home DIY mechanics.frustrated because the big automakers have been lead down a path designing and making vehicles only they can service. Service that will cost, cause you to mortgage your next born just to keep your prized XXXXXx running! :
It isn’t just Jaguar, Mercedes or other BIG car makers. All these ails are blamed on the Consumer… It’s what the Consumer demands so that’s what we build is their defense. I couldn’t disagree more!
If a car maker came out today with a stylish, reliable, less complicated, less computer driven systems vehicle I feel it would be a giant hit.
So much has changed in the last 20 years but has that change been driven because that’s what the customer demanded? Trucks that are more luxury than utility. Cars that must be taken to the dealer for any fault! If our old E-types, XJ sedans, Mk series, MB 190db, MB 220sb’s and so many more were computerized would we have the love of tinkering, working on, restoring and OWNING one? Maybe not!
I’m sure there are Forum members who view the current trend with hopes of electric vehicles solving all the worlds problems. Maybe so. Maybe not. Time will tell…
This is my view. While computers have revolutionized fuel economy while sustaining horse power plus engine reliability other car computerized systems aren’t so lucky… do they really need to be computerized?
My vote is the KISS principle. If Jaguar (even with Tata Motors help) continues its present course a dark horizon I feel is inevitable. If the brand goes away it will be due to a lack of forward thinking, creative (aka attractive) designs and innovative leadership IMHO.
Just my 2 cents worth…

Happy Trails,

Dick

1 Like

My Merc starts every time, thank you very much!

‘Hansel’ leaves a rust crumb trail wherever he goes too, makes for easy Angel retrieval. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Viva Das W108!

1 Like

AHWWWWW… One of the best Mercedes-Benz models ever produced. Built like a tank, simple electronic circuits and heavy duty connectors. Dad had a 190Db (1961) and the last time I drove it the mileage was well over 400,000. Living In Stuttgart for 8 1/2 years I was able to source “Old Timer” parts from Mercedes, not available in North America. No A/C, just a radio and heater but it was reliable!!! Even towed my '68 E-type home when I didn’t tighten the sump drain plug!! My Bad… Ha Ha
Steel is steel (mostly) so the tin worm will eventually make it way in. One other indestructible is the Merceded 220D series (1960-70’s).
With proper care and attention they will take you where ever you envision going.!!!

Nice car.

Happy Trails,

Dick

1 Like