Jaguar official guideline for the “italian tune up”

Does anyone have a copy of the actual Jaguar description of this procedure?

it is simple…on the tachometer they made a part where it turns red…drive with the go pedal pushed down hard and reach that point.
Nick

Apparently Jaguar actually circulated a written procedure. It might just be a legend.

I understand what is meant by the I.T-U and detect a whiff of sarcasm in your captain obvious reply

What i am interested in finding is what Jag actually sent out (if it exists)

What Jaguar sent out may have only been to its service departments rather than to the customers.

Yes - i fully expect that would be the case. Someone should have a copy of it tho

I’d be surprised if there was actually any authorize factory procedure for that: the basic procedure is to just take it for a good hard run, running the engine up through the gears to close to redline.

and that…takes us back to my prior comment…but there may be something in later service bulletins that is akin to doing that…as a road test: in much earlier factory statement someplace is a (I have to find it) instruction to road test for timing as the final adjustment. Of course that is different than hi revs to burn out/blow out carbon…but I have done it…in a XK120…after putting around in spring break traffic in town at night, took it out of town…and in my mirror could see swirling orange particles out the back. Maybe some bulletin exists for a “clean up test drive” before starting troubleshooting for an engine with symptoms of being loaded up. ? So back to the search…but I don’t have later service buletins…no such in the XK120-150 range to BOMK. I did enjoy this statement that I found on the internet…re trying an Italian tune up: The procedure can blow your engine to: smithereens, bits, pieces, nano particles mixed with a view of your rods, perdition and kingdom-come IF you own a high-mileage, low-compression, oil-swilling, rod-knocking, piece o’ crap car; the “Italian Tune Up” will end with you walking home from what’s left of your sorry pile of odd looking parts on the pavement and the smoking, fluid dripping, and hissing ex-car. Nick
Nick

Testing the transmission for proper WOT shift points and/or kickdown operation would require giving 'er the boot…and holding it. Clearing the carbon is just an enjoyable bonus. :slight_smile:

I’ve sometimes wondered why the V12 was prone to this carbon problem. Something to do with the design of the combustion chambers?

My V12 is a daily driver and sees a lot of in-town driving. Whenever is starts behaving poorly I take her out on the freeway for a good thrashing-thru-the-gears. It always runs better. And it makes me feel good, too :slight_smile:

I’ve owned only two other cars that required regular Italian tune-ups and they had the same engine: a '65 and '66 Olds 442 with the short-stroke 400 V8. There was something…details long forgotten…about the shape or the combustion chambers and/or positioning of the valves. Something like that. The result was an inordinate tendency to ‘ping’ and carbon build-up.

Cheers
DD

Thats the official inspection for a successful ITU.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

CANNOT… RESIST…

5 Likes

Not merely a good thrashing but a damn good thrashing :slight_smile:

That’s what a V12 needs from time to time. A damn good thrashing.

Cheers
DD

2 Likes