Jaguar research?

What is a good starting place to research the XJ Series? The naming convention is erratic and I am cross-eyed from all the to and fro. They’re such beautiful and misunderstood automobiles in the industry. I write about luxury, ultra-luxury and supercars and have been for many years. The Jag is the hardest to find 100% accurate information. I thought by consulting only in the UK I would have good luck - wrong! This is where I got so many different versions of the same thing! When I wrote the articles back in 2012 and 2013 I was tongue-in-cheek the entire time. I summarized everything I had but I still felt something was missing. And sure enough - after reading more - there were many facts missing or incorrect. The worst and I mean absolute worst was Wikipedia.

This is why I joined your forum guys! I like the way you all work positively together, no name-calling, trolling, or hot air wind-bags to deal with here. I especially want to get as many details as I can for the XJ Series and the MK10. Is there a Jaguar database with CORRECT info out there somewhere?

Welcome to the site! I’m no expert and many of the guys have much more knowledge than I do. As a start perhaps have a look at our “Old site” per the strip menu above - http://www.jag-lovers.org/modelindex.php3?ql
I have one XJ6, some have multiple, I am sure we could help with detail if you get stuck. Expect that you have already been to XJ6Data? Regards, Paul.

Name?
There is a book called Original Jaguar XJ, The Restorer’s Guide by Nigel Thorley, and another called Jaguar XJ, The Compete Companion by the same author.
But you can check your facts here.

Jag-lovers list member Peter Crespin authored some “Essential Buyer’s Guides” on a variety of Jaguar models that were published. Peter is a great guy who knows Jaguars. I have some of his books and I even contributed some pictures for his books. You should pick up one of the “XJ6, XJ12 and Sovereign” editions.

I have no affiliation with Peter other than as a friend and I receive no royalties resulting from my contributions of pictures of my Jaguars for his books.

Paul

There is also a book called Jaguar all the Car (Fourth Edition) also by Nigel Thorley. This has all the Jags. Hope this helps