Jaguar SS/MKIV radiator caps vs. MKV radiator caps

Hello everyone.

Since I have a couple of MKIV/SS/MKV radiator caps with mascots that came to me from different parts of out globe I took some time to compare them.

My first theory was that there were just two versions of them: one made in UK, another in USA.
Then some items came to me from California and UK and my last conclusions are as follows:

A: this is MKV radiator cap:
B: this is MKIV/SS radiator cap

Both A i B will fit radiator thread of Jaguar MKV/SS/MKIV which only complicates the topic :slight_smile:

A is thicker than B in 2-3 mm - second and third photo,
but A is thinner in 2-3 millimeters than B, on how far towards the middle goes the round line on the edge of the radiator cap - first photo.

These are my observations.

Comments appreciated :slight_smile:

The cap with thinner serrations length also has a larger dome bulge on top and about one more thread to engage radiator. Both styles fit the Mark V just fine.

Here are the four in my collection.
The picture file names identify them.
1938 SS Jaguar, single hole, came to me Friday with a Beard’s or Casimir Brau leaper.

Repro from the late Bob Brosen, who had a business selling repro parts in Maryland, with gold leaper, his last one he had in stock.

No hole, recovered in 2001 from Mark V 627931 parted out in the 1960s.

3 holes, was on my Mark V 627933 when I bought it in 1969, had a Mark IX style leaper from Warshawski’s Auto Parts on it.

A true sign of class, that…:yum:

Rob as for the last one, does it mean that You’ve bought Mark V from Poland in 1969?

This is the mascot I’ve had some time ago and its the same as Rob’s I think.

Yesterday I’ve made pictures of this mascot - what I like the most is the sign of time under the cap :slight_smile:

The western colony of Poland perhaps. :wink:
Chicago has a very large Polish immigrant community.
Israel Warshawsky was from Lithuania and started a scrap metal business in Chicago in 1915, which grew into a very large auto parts house, noted for low prices, not high quality. As I recall the price of this cat was about 7 or 8 dollars.

1 Like

The only Jaguar mascot I really like was on an Adelaide MK IV 1 1/2 litre Beautifully and accurately made it had 2 Jaguars, caught in the act of making more little Jaguars : >)

1 Like

Warshawski…J.C. Whitney!

1 Like